Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
poaky1

Does Q. Virginiana hybridize with Q. Alba?

poaky1
9 years ago

I know of Compton's oak, Q. Virginiana X Q. Lyrata. Any other Virginiana hybrids? Any other non-shrubby oaks that get low and wide? Likely no, right? I know about all the Live oaks. I suppose Q. Alba is the most like Q. Virginiana in zone 6. Well, I guess if it existed it can be found on the web. Anyone have experience with Bebbs oak? How about Cherrybark oak? Not like Virginiana, but anyone have either one, and do you like them?

Comments (13)

• Smivies (Ontario - 5b)
    9 years ago

Q. alba and virginiana are not prominently described as compatible but probably are though flowering may be offset enough that it would require human intervention? If virginiana x macrocarpa works and alba x macrocarpa works....

I know of one Bebb's Oak...it's 115 years old at the Dominion Arboretum in Ottawa, Canada. It's the biggest tree there.

• poaky1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I wonder if Q. Virginiana X Q. Macrocarpa hybrid trees would be tall like the Burr or short and wide like Virginiana? Yes that would be a 50/50 chance. I am glad you answered Smivies, I wasn't aware of the Live/Burr hybrid. I probably read it in the past, but lack of a seedling source, made me forget. I should just be happy with the Compton's. I wish I could see a Compton's (mature) in person. I have 3 about 6 ft Compton's in my yard. Well, If anyone knows a Burr X Virginiana Hybrid seedling source, I would like to try one at least.

• Smivies (Ontario - 5b)
    9 years ago

Burlive Oak ECOS!

It's macrocarpa x turbinella (likely that from the description). Maybe not exactly what you're looking for?

• hairmetal4ever
    9 years ago

I think it's genetically possible. I think, technically, just about any two "white" oaks and any two "red" oaks can hybridize from a genetic standpoint.

Not sure how the Cerris group (Sawtooth, etc) or ring-cupped (Q. myrsinifolia, Q. acuta, some other Evergreen Asian oaks) work. I'd assume they can cross only within their own groups.

When we haven't actually seen a particular hybrid, I believe it's due to the fact that wherever they grow in the same area their bloom times are just too far apart.

• poaky1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hairmetal and anyone else reading this. I wonder if the pollen can stay in storage for the couple weeks or however the time amount in between is? All oaks bloom in spring right? As far as Oikos they are in Michigan, so southern oaks are likely not messed with, for lack of a better wording. Mossy oaks emailed me about my order, they can't gaurantee me a Comptons oak (or 4) being that they are in demand, and the seed hunting/starting is still not done, but they told me that many of their lives and Compton's "gave them problems". So of course I emailed back enquiring if they lost any to the cold winter, last winter. I begged for them to take the time to answer. Maybe the little lower trunk sprouts will do okay in the future after all. I am still planting hardier whips near them. Maybe my Compton's were okay and their's weren't because mine have some size to them. Sorry, I wish Dax was around Live oaks, he likes to try things with trees. I bet if he could get live oak pollen he would try some hybridizing. Hair, the Asian oaks that are evergreen, are they like out Live oaks in shape? I want an oak that takes after the Live oak almost exactly in shape and size, proportion. Maybe if I saw the Compton's up close in person, I would shut up and be happy. If I could talk with the guy at Mossy oaks that knows about the breeding, and will listen to my incestant questions, and take the time to listen, and answer me. Well, I'll try and post that question about Alba X Virginiana to them now.

• poaky1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I sent the email to Mossy oaks about Alba X Virginiana. So I will post the answer when I get one.

• poaky1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I got the answer today, yes, it is possible and they have one 3 yr old seedling. They are hoping to get acorns from it in 4-6 yrs, not really quick, I know. Well, it's quick, but when you are impatient a bit, it's not . They found it in a pot where their live oak seedlings were. They don't pollinate their trees, they are natural hybrids. I have dibs on one if they get a bunch of them, or so they told the crazy lady who kept emailing with questions (me), they said the Compton's should take after Live Oak in shape, even more-so than Alba and Virginiana, that Overcup, when open grown gets twisted branches like live oak, more than Alba, they posted a pic of Compton's that showed the underneath of a mature Compton's. Hell, if my Late drops, live a few years and one bears seed in a couple years, I should go and try to pollinate some white oaks near me. But how do you know which acorns are hybrid, and which are not. I guess they look different. Some of the Albas are too tall to mess with. So, that's the answer to that, be patient, and they may have them in their catalog in 5-7 years, they said it could be sooner, but nothing for sure, that is about the Alba X Virginiana hybrid. They had mentioned one "late drop" L.O. named nugget that bore seed at age 3. If I can get one to live that long in my yard, though. I could cheat with protection, but they may get fungus on them.

• poaky1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Maybe the Compton's is enough like Virginiana

Here is a link that might be useful: Compton oak photo.

• poaky1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Could'nt resist posting this one either.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:378657}}

• georgeinbandonoregon
    9 years ago

FWIW, my experience with compoton oaks (apparently seed from these type of trees so likely at least technically "F2" ---2'd generation crosses) is that these trees may vary in their characteristics with some mostly evergreen in our coastal oregon (USDA zone 9) winters and some partly to wholly deciduous---especially in a cooler than normal winter.. there is probably no guarantee that any crosses of deciduous white oaks (alba, lyrata, etc.) will be reliably evergreen---especially in marginal climates or colder winters even in milder areas. IOW, people potentially trying to get cold hardy "evergreen" trees thru these crosses may (or may not, LOL) achieve those goals.

• poaky1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Looking on Yahoo images, A red oak Q. Nigra Water oak, looks like Live oak

• poaky1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Georgein oregon, I don't need an evergreen, it's the shape that is important. I have a couple live oaks who came back from the lower trunk. Maybe if they get bigger before next brutal winter, they will be okay. I will try to be happy with my Compton's and if the Alba X Virginiana hybrid is available later, I'll try one.

• poaky1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Just want to add that georgein-----oregon, I know what you mean I have a Compton's that holds it's leaves most winters and the other 2 not so much. They are all young 4-5 yrs old, maybe when they have more mass to them they will hold some more?