Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can half-dead ornamental purple plum tree be saved?

Posted by esther_b NYC (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 24, 13 at 20:45

In our co-op complex, nearly every yard has one of those small ornamental purple plum trees in it. The ones which are not anywhere near the taller oak trees are doing fine and are thickly leaved. The ones (such as in my yard) which have large oaks living next to them have half their branches dead and bare. I have asked the mgt. to prune them and they won't, for some dumb reason. Could pruning away the dead branches help save these trees?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can half-dead ornamental purple plum tree be saved?

Personally, I'd rather have the oak than the plum... especially if the oaks are large & established. Think of all the birds & critters that live in a single big oak!

o

my thoughts at the link ..

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

o

• Posted by hoovb z9 Southern CA (My Page) on
    Tue, Jun 25, 13 at 17:26

ken what a gorgeous landscape you have!

Here those purple leaf plums look gorgeous for about two years after planting, then they start to die and are dead at about year five. I've seen this over and over and over throughout our area.

So they are failures in other climates as well? I thought it was just our zone that was doing it.

o

Ken,

The problem with this particular plum tree is twofold: (1) it belongs to the co-op, not to me, and I don't think they'd take kindly to me cutting it down and (2) it's right in the middle of my HOSTA GARDEN, providing the main shade for it. The hosta garden gets the late afternoon sun, it's an eastern exposure, and the oak trees behind the plum tree (oak trees are in the strip between the sidewalk and the street) gradually shade over everything. Various neighbors have told me that, when they inquired about having a dead or dying tree replaced, they were told that the tree would not be replaced. So, if this plum tree up and dies, I suppose they will saw it down and leave my hosta garden to be shaded only by the oak trees in the late afternoon. I wonder how that will affect my hosta garden...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here