Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
funnthesun

What in the world is wrong with this cotinus?

I literally just bought this guy. I received it on Friday and now, two days later, it is getting brown edges. I did notice the coloring was faded when I received it, but there was zero brown on it. It is not in the sun, either, but sitting under a tree, shaded, where I always put my new arrivals for acclimation. Any ideas?

Comments (9)

• Sara Malone Zone 9b
    10 years ago

Assume this is 'Ancot' aka Golden Spirit. I have suffered with this one for about 10 years. If in shade, it is not golden. If in sun, it looks like yours. I have seen photos of gorgeous plants but I am not sure where they are...

If anyone has suggestions we'd love to hear!

Sara

• bfrederick
    10 years ago

Unfortunately I have also had alot of issues with this plant. It seems to be very sensitive to disease and also scorching, no matter where I put it.
    I've succumbed to basically just cutting it down to the ground each fall and enjoying the new growth in the spring and summer. New growth is its best quality anyways as far as color. It grows rather quickly, getting up to about 4 feet by the end of each summer before its hacked down again.

• Sara Malone Zone 9b
    10 years ago

bfrederick that is more or less what I have done, also. I have one that is still in the original spot and another that I have moved four times. Neither looks very good, and I have practically coppiced them almost every year. All it takes is the first hot spell and they scorch. No fall color to speak of, either. In nurseries I see beautiful specimens in pots so a perfect environment for this plant exists, just not in my - or maybe anyone's - garden!

• funnthsun z7A - Southern VA
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Well, crap, if I would have known that, I would have never bought this little bugger! Maybe it should be a gift to the in-laws :)

• Sara Malone Zone 9b
    10 years ago

We've all been seduced by a pretty face at one time or another...

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

if sara cant grow it.. well .... that says it all ..

if mail order.. shipping stress ..

if planted.. transplant stress ...

i like the idea of just cutting it down every year.. and enjoying it in the season of it prime... but of course you cant to that with a new transplant ... it would need to get established first ...

those leaves are still functioning.. just a little cosmetic damage ... IMHO ...

you are a coward.. if you give up this easily.. lol

though i do like the idea of gifting it to the in laws.. lol ..

i take it that you cant return it locally????

ken

• funnthsun z7A - Southern VA
    Original Author
    10 years ago

No, can't return it. I got it from Forest Farm, PNW, if I remember correctly, which is to what I am attributing the stress. Nice mild weather one day, and then dumped into the heat of NC! I would be stressed, too! No direct sunlight on it, but I think just the heat itself is doing it. I definitely see coppicing in it's future.

• davidrt28 (zone 7)
    10 years ago

In a place as far south as NC, one needs to approach fully variegated plants with caution...at least ones that aren't from a tough group like conifers.
    Your experience reminds me of my wariness about Acer shirasawanum 'Aureum'. I've seen a picture of one in an Irish garden, apparently full "sun", an incredibly bright glowing cadmium yellow. I ordered one from a PNW retailer. Then I got to thinking...am I kidding myself? Found some accounts online saying that they will burn in full sun in a non-maritime climate, but would only be lime-green if planted in shade! Decided to amend the order to be for something else. There's supposely now an improved form on the market, I'm going to give it a few years on the market to see how the reviews come in.

• whaas_5a
    10 years ago

The american smoketree I got from FF had root rot. So who knows with it being a new pot recieved via mail order.

I'd plant it in very well drained soil with light shade in the afternoon.

Mine looks just fine after a year in the ground. Its more of a lime green which is still a nice color for part shade. New foilage is more golden.

Sponsored
Preferred General Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Fairfax County's Specialized, Comprehensive Renovations Firm