Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
poaky1

I took some pics today in my yard

poaky1
9 years ago

If anyone likes seeing pictures. They are from my yard, mostly baby trees yet. {{gwi:379318}} My Burr oak about 7 yrs in ground {{gwi:379319}} London plane {{gwi:379321}} Mag Grand

Comments (18)

• poaky1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Continueing....{{gwi:368826}} Dawn redwood Nuttall's oak Q. Muehlen{{gwi:379323}} {{gwi:379324}} willow oak {{gwi:379325}} Swamp Ch Oak {{gwi:379326}} willow oak {{gwi:379327}}

• j0nd03
    9 years ago

Nice pics, *POAKY*. How is your American beech doing? IIRC it had a great growth year last year

I swear the porky comment was sabotage by autocorrect!!

This post was edited by j0nd03 on Tue, Jun 10, 14 at 8:12

• poaky1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Q. Bicolor is the last one above and ....... Magnolia Swamp magnolia{{gwi:379328}} {{gwi:379329}} beadles oak {{gwi:366331}} Durand oak {{gwi:67800}} My largest Q. Alba 8 yrs old I THINK and Burr oak 2nd yr from Dax's acorn {{gwi:379330}} Q. Fusiformis {{gwi:364056}} I am likely going to remove this texas LO it never gets big.

• poaky1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Johnd I was going to take a pic of the Beech, but usually nobody asks about Amer. Beech. My Beech is doing great, it has leafed out and is fine, despite being a little behind. I'll try and get a pic soon. I have trees I haven't taken pics of yet. I'll try to get those along with the beech.

• poaky1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Johnd, I about busted a gut when I read PORKY, Yes, I did gain weight over winter.

• poaky1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Live oak "late drop" you can barely see the buds, {{gwi:379331}} but they are there.

• gardener365
    9 years ago

I LAUGHED so hard at porky! We're going to have to get you some pecan trees so you can keep up your weight during winter.

Compton's looks full minus the bark abrasion which will heal over.

Dax

• j0nd03
    9 years ago

I'm glad you guys got a kick out that!

I am still very sorry it came out like that, though. Autocorrect sniped me yet again. I have added Poaky to my phone's dictionary to hopefully avoid unfortunate misspellings of your user name in the future hahaha

• joeinmo 6b-7a
    9 years ago

Poaky,

Are you sure your getting leaf out on that Late Drop, it seems to be way late for leaf out, kinda looks dead :(

• poaky1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I posted a pic of the Compton's with the bark ripped down on the post that mentions the tear, Dax. I have 3 Compton's oaks. Here is my Beech Johnd {{gwi:375591}} And last but not least the pics I took today of the late drop "L.O." {{gwi:364059}} {{gwi:364060}} Plus the green trunk I saw the other day, but can't seem to see well in the picture I posted. I keep looking at the buds stubborn but there. I look like an idiot insisting it's going to leaf out, but I see signs it will and when you see the first of the 2 pics here, you will see what I mean. I was ready to rip it out and get another tree, but it isn't dead. The pics with the envelope in the background were taken about an hour ago. Here is the trunk pic from a couple days ago, you can barely see the green right below the slight scrape It isn't as noticeble now on the tree. {{gwi:354389}} the green is best seen at the bottom of the scrape. When you see those buds on todays pics don't you think it is going to leaf out? I saw my dead one with no buds. I have plenty of weight on me without getting a Walnut tree,

• poaky1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Dax, here's the ripped bark Compton's oak {{gwi:366330}} and the rip {{gwi:379333}} I had pruned some off the bottom mostly so I can mow under it once the fence is removed.

• j0nd03
    9 years ago

Thanks for the beech pic, poaky. It sure looks healthy and vigorous!

I wouldn't worry for a second about that oak as far as damage is concerned. It will callus and heal in a season or two. As far as oak wilt is concerned, I can't really help you with that. Hopefully, the insect vectors that carry the disease don't pay that tree a visit.

I also have a small potted oak that has green stems and plump buds but still hasn't leafed out yet. This winter did some really weird things to plants.

• poaky1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I do like Pecans guys I misstakenly put Walnut on my post above. Pecan pie is my favorite pie out of any. You can see the buds in the picture on the Late drop. I should try and wait to post when a leaf tip starts to stick out or something. I swear I could see it starting on a couple buds today. Well, Johnd I'm glad you have seen this on a plant of your's so I don't feel like the only nut. I actually expect leafout on this one particular tree, I just hope it isn't in July or too late in June. I have been swishing the tree back and forth hoping the sap will get moving, a desperate move that can't hurt anyway. Johnd hope your tree wakes up too.

• poaky1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I have pruned the "late drop" live oak down to where I saw green on the underbark. I am not expecting new growth, but will be pleasantly surprised by any green that appears in leaf form even 2 or 3 leaves will make me happy as any clam out there.

• poaky1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Well, I am just updating this thread, Dax, the late drop is dead down to the lower trunk. There is a sprout coming from the lower trunk. As well as my other "late drop" in the dog yard is coming up from the lower trunk. Of course there was mulch there last winter. I will be letting the sprouts grow, just out of curiousity. I will be replacing the "late drop" I've been fussing over with a zone 6 tree. I already posted in the Live oak thread. It's depressing, but, even up from the lower trunk, in another bad winter it will croak, so, that's life I guess.

• poaky1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I almost forgot, nobody probably cares, but here is my other Q. Alba, that is getting some size to it also. {{gwi:379334}} not big, but not to small. And my Q. Robur on steroids {{gwi:379335}} the tree behind it is about 35 yrs old, the Q. Robur is about 5 or 6 approx.

• hairmetal4ever
    9 years ago

Good stuff!

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

why is the plane 'jailed' only on 3 sides ...

i am glad.. to see.. that you have the room for the forest you are trying to grow ...

thx for the pix

ken