Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
can i save my dying ficus tree?

Posted by sheilajgw none (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 7, 14 at 21:38

I would appreciate any advice anyone can give me.

I have what was a beautiful ficus tree -- it was potted for about 10 years in a very large pot -- 2 ft. high by 30" wide at the mouth. It lived happily outdoors and grew to be about 10 feet tall with beautiful green leaves. It was the star of the garden. About 2 months ago, it started losing leaves -- I watered and fed it to no avail. Finally I realized that it was probably root bound, and had my gardner take it out of the pot and plant it in the ground. It was, in fact, horribly root bound. After he planted it, It continued to die -- and now all that is left are the very large trunk and branches without leaves at all. There are no new green leaves at all -- and the baby leaves that were there have fallen off. I noticed a green film on some of the branches -- and in some spots it looks like it has developed knotty holes -- dead wood is falling off and leaving the interior branch. Some of the higher branches have snapped off -- dead.

Is there anything I can to do save it -- I am really at a loss.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: can i save my dying ficus tree?

I forgot to mention -- I live in Los Angeles -- temperate climate all year round.

o

You have a "moderate" climate. A "temperate" climate involves hot summers and cold winters. You definitely *don't* have that. ;)

o

How were the roots separated when it was planted?
If they were left circled and tangled up there's your answer.

o

Thanks for the correction re moderate vs temperate. Assuming the roots were left circled upon transplanting --wouldn't they naturally untangle once in the ground? I do believe they were uncurled to some extent. We are using rich soil and frequent watering..

o

Sounds like it's dead, and time to start over with a new tree. If this was a Ficus benjamina, there should be good-sized trees available for reasonable cost.

Sometimes once potted plants/trees get badly root bound, they need to have their roots "distressed" enough on planting to encourage outward root growth. You can look up advice on how to do this online.

o

Eric_oh-- thank you for this advice --I am so sad that this gorgeous tree has died, though my gardener says he sees the beginning of tiny new leaves on some of the branches (I don't see them). I'll give it another month or so to see what happens. Really can't bear to let it go..

o

• Posted by hoovb z9 Southern CA (My Page) on
    Sat, Jun 14, 14 at 19:17

Ficus benjamina normally drop their leaves at any change of physical location, even from room to room indoors. Likely the foliage will all grow back and you will very much come to regret planting it in the ground, as it buckles any pavement within 25 feet and sucks all the water away from any plant growing nearby with its aggressive, invasive surface roots.

Here is a link that might be useful: thread on F. benjamina, if that is what you have

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here