Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
bark peeled off young oak

Posted by poaky1 6 Pa (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 1, 14 at 21:51

I should've known better, but, I got careless. My Compton's oak needed some pruning. It is about 6 ft tall, it still has baby bark, thin as a piece of tape. I didn't make the undercut first, before the top cut, which stops bark from being ripped off the trunk under the pruning cut. The branch being removed was about a 1/2 an inch in diameter. I thought I didn't need to make the undercut. So I have about 4 inches of baby bark ripped off the Compton's oak. The tan moist innerds (for lack of a better discription) are now unprotected. I tend to think it will be fine, no need for tar wound protector, but, if some sap sucking insect will take advantage of my oak I want to stop it. I can post pics if needed, but hope my discription is enough. I've had deer do as much in the past, not to this tree though. The ripped bark is only about an inch wide, but about 5 inches in a verticle strip.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: bark peeled off young oak

If the cambium is the moist tan part, it is intact, the 2 layers thin as paper, were ripped down. I hope the tree will be fine.

o

Tar is no longer favored for tree wounds. They are best left to heal over on their own. I think your tree will be fine.

Linda

o

Thanks, I was hoping that it was only cosmetic.

o

Pictures tell a thousand words.

o

I need to take pics then.

o

I have a pic now uphill compton's oak photo DSC00382_zps5b28799c.jpg Here's the whole tree Uphill Compton's oak 2014 photo DSC00381_zps7a123517.jpg It isn't that bad I guess.

o

Just cut off that loose piece of bark at the bottom of the wound and it should heal over fine.

o

I figured it wasn't a big deal, I just hate having that happen.

o

I have ordered 6 more Compton's oaks. I have several Live oak "late drops" that will likely croak in winter 2014-2015, unless it is a really mild winter. I figured getting them ordered and planted ASAP is best. I have ordered 2 Cherrybark oak trees also, to be delivered in fall 2014 maybe late summer 2014.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here