Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ttonk_gw

If you have to plant a tree 4' away from the house..

ttonk
10 years ago

I know that it shouldn't be that close but if you want to plant one, which tree could that be?

I have a window facing north and I'd love to keep the blind open. But if I do, I face my neighbor's window. It struck me that if I have a tree in front of the window, I may be able to keep the blind up. I only have about 8' from the house to the property line. I'd rather not plant anything too close to the property line. I'd want it at least 4' from the property line. The tree should be at least 10' tall and 5' wide to give me the screen given the height and size of the window. Not sure any shrub will do the job. The side is north-facing and mostly shaded.

This post was edited by ttonk on Sat, Jun 1, 13 at 22:15

Comments (13)

• scotjute Z8
    10 years ago

Might try something small like a Redbud.
    There are several junipers commonly available that might be in the size you are looking for.

• Toronado3800 Zone 6 St Louis
    10 years ago

Japanese maple maybe. One of the billion arborvitae if you admit to yourself in a decade it will need to be removed. With the Japanese maple regular pruning could put off removal for a long time.

• drrich2
    10 years ago

A pair of Emerald Green Arborvitae, perhaps? Paired to get that width and then some. But they won't be 10 feet tall for a long time.

For that matter, why 10 feet tall? Unless you're on the 2'nd floor, I'd think all they could see over the tops of 6 foot trees would be a glimpse of your ceiling.

Richard.

• laceyvail 6A, WV
    10 years ago

How about a fastigiate tree like Magnolia 'Golden Spire'?

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

how high is the window...

and how much sun ... hours??

below is my thuja occidentalis de groots spire ... insure you get a single leader plant... that is how it stays thin ... if you look close at mine.. you can see a second 4 foot leader.. i really should cut out ... its right behind the blue conifer ....

and nothing really stops growing at some magical height .... and once established.. they grow about a foot per year .... in full sun....

plant a couple, three or so ... if it is zone appropriate for you ....

ken

ps: for the short term.. i just bought a window film ... to apply to the window.. so you can get light.. w/o nosy neighbors.. mine is a theme on the famous wisteria glass .. was that tiffany??? search lowes.home depot for window films ...

{{gwi:211252}}

Here is a link that might be useful: link

• ttonk
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I circled the window if this helps. I think the window is about 6-8' off the ground.

The red line is the PL and that area is often flooded when it rains heavily. :-(

That spot gets a bit of morning sun and late afternoon sun but is shaded for the most of the day...

{{gwi:380288}}

This post was edited by ttonk on Sun, Jun 2, 13 at 10:24

• ttonk
    Original Author
    10 years ago

So I got recommendations on conifers:
    Emerald Green Arborvitae
    thuja occidentalis

And on deciduous trees:
    Redbud
    Japanese maple
    Magnolia 'Golden Spire

All great suggestions!
    Now I think more about this..
    It's really not that neighbors are noisy or I'm concerned that someone will look into my window. It's a kitchen window so me washing dishes is not something anyone would be interested. I want to see the sky & some green but not feel like I'm watching my neighbors. You know when doing dishes, you're standing right in front of the window and looking out for a long time.

I used to have a huge arborvitae up against a 1st floor window in my previous house. Was great for the privacy but I felt as if the curtain is down all the time. I guess I want something more airy? My eyes are at the bottom half of the window. So if the tree only covers the bottom half of the window and the top half of the window is not blocked, it would be perfect. But I know trees don't stop growing at some height. :-)

• ttonk
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ken, what is that small and wide tree? Second from the right.
    And what is that "blue conifer"?

10 years ago

can you download my pic and photoshop it..

the blue one is abies concolor 'compacta'

and the other .. i dont know which you mean ...

see link

ken

ps: most of what you suggest should NOT be planted over your a/c unit ..

Here is a link that might be useful: took me 10 mintues to apply it

• ttonk
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hummm...
    Never thought about the AC unit. Glad I posted a pic..
    Window film it is then. :-)

10 years ago

the other one is Picea pungen St Marys broom ...

ken

• ttonk
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks!

• drrich2
    10 years ago

This is concerning -

"That spot gets a bit of morning sun and late afternoon sun but is shaded for the most of the day..."

Choosing a tree for a mostly shaded location is a different matter than for a sunny spot.

You know, a large bird feeder outside breaking your line-of-site between you & your neighbors might be nice.

Richard.

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio