Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What time of year can you cut back a bottle brush tree?

Posted by Advizo none (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 24, 11 at 22:14

What time of year can you cut back a bottle brush tree?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What time of year can you cut back a bottle brush tree?

We don't know for sure what species you have or where you live. I'm also wondering if you are talking about some corrective pruning or rejuvenating pruning (cutting at ground level in the expectation of vigorous regrowth). But, for general pruning...

1. Just about any time you have your pruners handy.
2. Major pruning in late summer/early fall may result in winter damage to tender new growth.
3. Pruning prior to flowering may result in less visual appeal for that year.

o

as to number three .. stated another way ...

if you want to enjoy the flower show.. prune immediately after bloom ... if you dont care.. whenever ...

now.. we need an ID.. isnt there a shrub under that name.. and a chestnut/buckeye tree ... that is the failure of common names ...

in defining that.. we can give better instructions

ken

o

I assumed the OP was talking about some type of Callistemon species, but maybe there are also other possibilities.

o

I was thinking Aesculus parviflora, like Ken. Need an ID.

tj

o

Mildly off topic....giggling: I just finished reading about and looking at wonderful photos of "bottle trees" from all around the world. (NE Forum) For a moment I thought the question was about cutting back a "Bottle Tree".

Over an hour on Gardenweb makes me goofy.
Idabean

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here