Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Rescue for bark-stripped maple?

Posted by weeper (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 24, 09 at 23:19

I have a silver maple that I planted last year. This winter some deer came and either rubbed or ate a fair bunch of the bark off its trunk. This spring it leafed out fine, and I was hoping the bark would just scab over and heal itself. So far though, it hasn't. Now that the summer heat has set in, the tree has been looking quite wilted, and a few branches have even lost their leaves. I've been watering it deeply at least once a week, but as soon as it gets hot, it looks wilted again. I'm guessing it might be loosing a lot of moisture through the raw trunk.

Is there any way to save this tree? Or do I have to watch it slowly defoliate and die?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Rescue for bark-stripped maple?

you dont have to watch it.. cut it down ...

healing over.. can take years, depending on the injury ...

you fail to state how big the wound is.. in relation to the size of the tree ... any chance of a picture ...

are we taking 90% of the circumference??? give us a few more specific facts ...

given its a maple ... it will probably sprout from below the wound ... if the top becomes terminal ... whether or not you will allow that to happen is up to you ...

ken

o

The stripped bark probably goes about 90% of the way around. So I'm not sure if that is enough to girdle a young tree or not. I'm guessing if it is wilting like it is, it's a gonner. The bark stripped area covers probably a third of the entire trunk.

I've noticed that it does have a small shoot at the base of the trunk. So if I left it and later pruned off the main trunk, I would have a clump for silver maple instead of a standard? Would there be any way I could train a new leader?

Would allowing the tree to grow from shoots make it a weaker tree?

o

The stripped bark probably goes about 90% of the way around. So I'm not sure if that is enough to girdle a young tree or not.

Probably. Not 100% but more like 97.875%. The 2.125% is in hopes all the stars and spirits align and your sacrifice to the tree gods is heard and you haven't harmed any sprites in your life. ;o)

Dan

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here