Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pharmdfsu

My Kousa Dogwood leaves turning purple/Brown.

PharmDFSU
9 years ago

Here is a picture of what the leaves have started changing to, any ideas? I was thinking too much water.

Comments (6)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

no history other than color.. to make any guesses ...

why would you think too much water???

ken

• PharmDFSU
    Original Author
    9 years ago

No, no other issues in past, it was doing fine in the spring. Ive had problems with water there in the past, it is all clay and doesn't drain for anything. My Japanese maple died there and they put this one in saying it would be better with a lot of water.

Any idea what this means? It was green and less wilted looking a month ago.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    9 years ago

Poor drainage will be a major limitation for pretty much anything you choose to plant with the exception of some bog lovers. Even trees that like moist soils - as both the Japanese maple and dogwood do - need well-draining soil. If you suspect that is the issue....and it sounds like a very good possibility.......then you need to do something to improve drainage.

While it is a tricky time of year to be making adjustments and replanting things, if the drainage is as problematic as you think, the plants are not inclined to be patient and tolerate the conditions until the timing is more conducive. Poor drainage can be the kiss of death and relatively rapidly, so you need to make a firm assessment of the situation and resolve the problem ASAP if it does indeed exist.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

see how to plant in bad clay at the link ...

i am with gal.. as NOW NOT BE PRIME TIME TO DIG UP tree.... I WOULD DO IT IN FALL...

what you should do.. is get out the hand trowel.. and dig some 6 inch holes around it... AND ACTUALLY FIND OUT IF THE SOIL.. AT DEPTH IS SODDEN OR BONE DRY...

until you have that info... you really dont know how to water... and that is the whole point of your post.. eh???

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

• arktrees
    9 years ago

VERY poor choice (I know was not your choice) for a poorly draining local. IMHO, the dogwood (outside of a few species native to wet areas) is more sensitive to poor drainage than Japanese Maple. So if the JM died from poor drainage, this one IMHO will be not far behind. Frankly I question the knowledge of the person telling you that the dogwood is more water tolerant.

Arktrees

• RoccoS
    9 years ago

I have a thriving 20+ year old Kousa with similar leaf curl & color on the top leaders only. Tree as good drainage and is at the edge of my irrigation so none of the above answers re: poor drainage apply. Last Winter was very rough and only about 1/3 of the tree bloomed this year.