Houzz Logo Print
wendyb_gw4

deal or no deal?

WendyB 5A/MA
15 years ago

Acer griseum $12

{{gwi:382197}}

{{gwi:382198}}

Looks a little chlorotic and stressed, but I gave it some iron and some micronutrients. The leader was dead and I snipped it off. Root ball looked okay.

I passed up a 5 gal nicely grown griseum for $65 recently (mostly because I didn't feel like dealing with a large planting)

I am planning to keep it in the pot until fall and see if it looks better and warrants planting or possibly returning. What would you do with it?

Comments (5)

• Dibbit
    15 years ago

Double check the roots to see if they are filling the pot or are circling the edge/bottom. If so, pot on into a larger pot, with well-draining potting mix, but no fertilizer - except maybe a bit of compost. Otherwise, it looks to me as though you lucked out.

You may have to do a bit of tidying up and shaping in the future, esp. with the dead leader..., but I want one at that price, too!

• pineresin
    15 years ago

Excellent deal at that price!

Ditto to Dibbit on the care and treatment.

Resin

• WendyB 5A/MA
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Well, it definitely is making it. Its putting out new growth at the tips where it had been cut.

I have a spot in mind that is only 4-5' away from the house. Is that too close? I see pictures of this tree where it gets quite large, but because mine is starting out so small, will a tight spot be good for at least 10 years? longer? (let the next owners worry about it if it overpowers the spot)

The spot gets 4 hrs morning sun and can be seen from the kitchen window so I will be sure to appreciate it all the time doing dishes!

• Dibbit
    15 years ago

Much too close. The ideal distance from a structure is more than half the expected mature width of whatever plant we are talking about, plus a couple of feet, to allow for variations in growth, and give some wiggle-room. On that basis, A. griseum would need 10-12', plus another 2 or so, to give complete clearance from the house siding. Having branches up against the siding is not good for the siding, for several reasons, ranging from mechanical damage from rubbing to mold and mildew from lack of air circulation. As well, tree roots extend beyond the drip line by about half the width of the tree, i.e.; the total width of the roots of a tree with a width of 20' will be around 35-50'. Granted, the last 3-6' will be feeder roots and smaller roots, but they will be there. If your house is on a slab, or if your water, sewage or septic lines run in that area (and unless they are less than 10 years old) you may have trouble with them as well. And if you have a problem with the lines and have to dig them up, it would do the tree no good either.

Your comment about it taking time for the tree to get wide is certainly true, but it is almost impossible, and very expensive, to move a tree that close to a house, so what do you do with the tree, just as it is starting to show off the attributes for which you want it in the first place? I wouldn't want to cut it down then! If, as you say, then you won't own the house then, well, it's up to you, but I do feel it's a bad idea.

• WendyB 5A/MA
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Okay...I'll find another spot.