Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
DIfference Between Emperor I and Bloodgood Japanese Maple

Posted by treetoronto 10 (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 18, 14 at 0:11

Hello,

I recently planted a Bloodgood JM along my fence underneath a sparse Honey Locust(from canopy lift and ice storm damage) and decided that i needed another one beside it. When I went back to the store, they only had Emperor I left. So i bought it.

How noticeable will the difference be?

THanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: DIfference Between Emperor I and Bloodgood Japanese Maple

Oops, my zone is 6, not 10!

o

Difference is not much :-) Bloodgood could get slightly larger, grow a bit more slowly and leaf out a tad earlier, otherwise you'd be hard pressed to tell them apart.

o

I don't know about the Emperor, but I can tell you Bloodgood is no dwarf! I have one...love it! Interesting throughout the seasons (leaves turn crimson red in late November here.) Give it adequate space! Maybe someone here can suggest a minimum planting distance. Growth is fast enough (in the East at least). They do seem to take well to pruning though. (Prior owners were maintaining mine as a shrub through annual, severe pruning, I let it become the tree it was destined to be.)

This post was edited by njoasis on Fri, Jul 18, 14 at 16:28

o

as a collector.. i would be proud to have two different ones..

they arent bath towels.. i dont know why they have to match ...

and i would spend the decades watching.. how they differ ..

ken

o

Thanks everyone! I wanted them to match because I have placed them side by side to create a screen from my neighbors patio door.

I have a Bloodgood next to my front door in a sheltered location. It thrives where it is. After our last winter, so many Japanese Maple trees suffered damage, not one but on this one! Soil was replaced many years ago, so it is in very deep, fertile soil. It puts on at least 2.5 feet a season!

I have started a collection of them. So far I have, 2 Bloodgoods, an Emporer I, Azuma Marasaki, Waterfall, Crimson Queen, and a Tamukeyama.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here