Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dax, the Burr oak from Musser Forests

Posted by poaky1 6 Pa (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 6, 14 at 0:20

This is the latest pic Burr oak 2014 photo DSC00377_zpsbe14515e.jpg I will try to get more detail in the next couple days on the Musser Forest Burr oak. It is the one to the right of the Pineapple statue, the one closer to the edge in front. I think the plaque says 2007 for the year planted.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Dax, the Burr oak from Musser Forests

The Burr from the acorn has put out (up) a foot more so far, likely another foot before fall :>)

o

That musser forest has nothing on me! ;-)

Dax

o
(a href="http://s1084.photobucket.com/user/poaky1/media/dsc00398_

Dax, Here are the leaves on Musser forest Burr, they look better than last year, more like Burr oak so I feel dumb, because they look more like they should now, past years they were pointier tips, but here goes.  photo DSC00399_zps71b73667.jpg And  photo DSC00398_zpsd6ac8ac7.jpg Here is the Burr from your acorn  photo DSC00402_zpsa3013785.jpg Old picDax acorn Burr oak 2014 spr Yr 2 photo DSC00363_zpsd1c989f2.jpg Okay maybe 15 inches so far, not 2 feet yet. But it's only July 8. I also am astounded that I didn't know I had a Q. Cerris in my yard already. I had mentioned before that one of my Q. Robur had leaves like a Swamp Chestnut oak or Chinkapihn oak. Some of my posts are long, I don't blame anyone for not remembering that I mentioned that. Well, It turns out one of the 3 Q. Robur from ebay from England (acorns) was a Cerris. I chalked it up to oaks not always having leaves that look like they should. Here is a pic of the one I've had for a while  photo DSC00401_zpse9c88ebe.jpg So I've had one for several yrs now, and didn't know it.

o

I may be planting the Pecans in my yard and I may plant the Cerris at Mt. Macrina in honor of a nunn that was a really good person, Sister Irene, she died several years ago, maybe back in 2001. She was funny, she was cool.

o

I will likely plant the Pecans where some shrubs that have been damaged by a small rainstorm. Since I have the Cerris already the small one can be planted in memory of a nun where I used to work. She was a real Gem.

o

Poaky:

Can't confirm but that bur looks lyrata or lyrata influenced and that cerris looks more muelenbergii or mongolica.

Glad you've decided to plant the pecans. They're mighty like oaks.

Whatcha going to do with the Shellbark hickory? I just threw in the persimmon as an ornamental. I didn't want to send a bunch of those as potential mates because I know you're limited on space.

Thanks for the pics; beautiful valley there.

Dax

o

Agree - that 'bur' looks like Q.lyrata to me, and the 'cerris' looks more like Q.muehlenbergii.
Don't believe either are what you'd been thinking they were, poaky.

o

I am shocked about the Muehlenbergii ID on the one in the last pic, the acorn was from England along with 2 Q. Robur acorns. I would say yes you are right by the appearance, but, unless someone planted our oaks there I am not sure about it being Muehl, or the other US oak mentioned. I compared the seedling and the one in the pic, and they just are different sizes, but are alot alike. Not to poo poo your ID, but they are alot similar. The one you thought may be Lyrata, could be. I have a Lyrata in my Swampy area. I can see the resemblance. I definitely have a space for Q. Libani in my yard. I have 3 Compton's and a Durand on backorder from Mossy oaks nursery. I may reduce the Compton's to 2, Dax I would give you the 3rd, but you mentioned not having alot of room, and Hairmetal is talking about moving, joe in Mo already can grow real Live oaks, so I may go down to 2 Compton's and the one Durand. Durand hold their leaves in most winters, but not last winter. At least the one Durand I have behaved that way. It has Q. Alba bark and slim long leaves, with some slight lobing, so I was thinking it may slightly look like live oak, mine I already have sort of resembles it, but likely won't be shaped like it.

o

The Hickory wasn't in with the trees you sent Dax, but I am relieved because I am limited in room. I emailed you about it already. The persimmon died today. It didn't have lots of roots, but don't send another. I will save room for the Q. Libani no matter what, seeds are better than plants, but beggars can't be choosers, so whatever form you send is ok with me. My neighbor was happy at the prospect of Pecan trees, so he will plant them in his yard, right next to mine, so I can see them anytime. I may have to get on him to plant them soon, I have held them for a while myself, they look good but if he farts around like I did I'll have to remoisten the media.

o

poaky,
There have been American oaks grown in the UK since back in the 1600s. The N.A. members of the white oak group will hybridize readily with Q.robur - Sargent oak(Q.roburXmontana), in particular, is a possibility, if this seedling came from a Q.robur acorn.
At the distance shown, I certainly can't be certain of anything, including leaf morphology; closeups of leaves, buds, etc. might be helpful.
However, there's not any doubt in my mind about the Q.lyrata; it's not bur oak.

o

Can't do anymore oaks here. I'm focused on pecans and have my spots flagged, already. My other land is full, but thank you. When I get libani acorns, and I will, I'll send to you. I have a note already written in plain view so there's no chance of forgetting.

I'm going to stick to my guns about that one being muehlenbergii, poaky. For me, it's not cerris.

Dax

o

I think you are right now Dax, I looked on Yahoo images, and I see how they are different. Sorry I didn't think it wasn't Cerris. I guess there could've been a Muehl. I was stuck on the whole it being in England where Cerris and Robur are native or I THINK Cerris is native. I have decided to plant the Cerris from you in my yard. Likely the tree would have been mowed over at Mt. Macrina. They have mostly large trees in their landscape, the guys mowing would'nt even see it. I could protect it but I wanted a Cerris, I see it is smaller than many oaks, so I put it somewhere it will be perfect for. Sorry to seem ungrateful, I thought I had one, and the yard is getting full, thanks again for it.

o

You likely could'nt care less, but my neighbor still didn't plant the 2 Pecans. I saw this and got pissed, so I am planting them tomorrow. I will tell him I took them. He can go pound salt if he doesn't like it. I will plant them tomorrow, between mine and his yard. I am not worried he may get some pecans in the future, whatever, but I want to get em in the ground. I am glad you sent them Dax. Thanks

o

Sure & if you need replacements on anything I sent, do ask.

Dax

o

I ended up giving him the 2 Pecans, he really wanted them, but anyhow. The one with a rootball is great, but the other one didn't have soil on the roots and dried up. He did plant them, I made sure, but the dirt came off the roots, and the heat did it in. I will reinburse your shipping if need be.

o

I'll send some extras. You can plant them in a temp place in your own yard until his are established. Sent you an email. Reply and then I'll send.

Dax

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here