Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
poaky1

Dax, the Burr oak from Musser Forests

poaky1
9 years ago

This is the latest pic {{gwi:379318}} I will try to get more detail in the next couple days on the Musser Forest Burr oak. It is the one to the right of the Pineapple statue, the one closer to the edge in front. I think the plaque says 2007 for the year planted.

Comments (34)

• poaky1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The Burr from the acorn has put out (up) a foot more so far, likely another foot before fall :>)

• gardener365
    9 years ago

That musser forest has nothing on me! ;-)

Dax

• poaky1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Dax, Here are the leaves on Musser forest Burr, they look better than last year, more like Burr oak so I feel dumb, because they look more like they should now, past years they were pointier tips, but here goes. {{gwi:382287}} And {{gwi:382290}} Here is the Burr from your acorn {{gwi:382293}} Old pic{{gwi:379330}} Okay maybe 15 inches so far, not 2 feet yet. But it's only July 8. I also am astounded that I didn't know I had a Q. Cerris in my yard already. I had mentioned before that one of my Q. Robur had leaves like a Swamp Chestnut oak or Chinkapihn oak. Some of my posts are long, I don't blame anyone for not remembering that I mentioned that. Well, It turns out one of the 3 Q. Robur from ebay from England (acorns) was a Cerris. I chalked it up to oaks not always having leaves that look like they should. Here is a pic of the one I've had for a while {{gwi:382298}} So I've had one for several yrs now, and didn't know it.

• poaky1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I may be planting the Pecans in my yard and I may plant the Cerris at Mt. Macrina in honor of a nunn that was a really good person, Sister Irene, she died several years ago, maybe back in 2001. She was funny, she was cool.

• poaky1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I will likely plant the Pecans where some shrubs that have been damaged by a small rainstorm. Since I have the Cerris already the small one can be planted in memory of a nun where I used to work. She was a real Gem.

• gardener365
    9 years ago

Poaky:

Can't confirm but that bur looks lyrata or lyrata influenced and that cerris looks more muelenbergii or mongolica.

Glad you've decided to plant the pecans. They're mighty like oaks.

Whatcha going to do with the Shellbark hickory? I just threw in the persimmon as an ornamental. I didn't want to send a bunch of those as potential mates because I know you're limited on space.

Thanks for the pics; beautiful valley there.

Dax

• lucky_p
    9 years ago

Agree - that 'bur' looks like Q.lyrata to me, and the 'cerris' looks more like Q.muehlenbergii.
    Don't believe either are what you'd been thinking they were, poaky.

• poaky1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I am shocked about the Muehlenbergii ID on the one in the last pic, the acorn was from England along with 2 Q. Robur acorns. I would say yes you are right by the appearance, but, unless someone planted our oaks there I am not sure about it being Muehl, or the other US oak mentioned. I compared the seedling and the one in the pic, and they just are different sizes, but are alot alike. Not to poo poo your ID, but they are alot similar. The one you thought may be Lyrata, could be. I have a Lyrata in my Swampy area. I can see the resemblance. I definitely have a space for Q. Libani in my yard. I have 3 Compton's and a Durand on backorder from Mossy oaks nursery. I may reduce the Compton's to 2, Dax I would give you the 3rd, but you mentioned not having alot of room, and Hairmetal is talking about moving, joe in Mo already can grow real Live oaks, so I may go down to 2 Compton's and the one Durand. Durand hold their leaves in most winters, but not last winter. At least the one Durand I have behaved that way. It has Q. Alba bark and slim long leaves, with some slight lobing, so I was thinking it may slightly look like live oak, mine I already have sort of resembles it, but likely won't be shaped like it.

• poaky1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The Hickory wasn't in with the trees you sent Dax, but I am relieved because I am limited in room. I emailed you about it already. The persimmon died today. It didn't have lots of roots, but don't send another. I will save room for the Q. Libani no matter what, seeds are better than plants, but beggars can't be choosers, so whatever form you send is ok with me. My neighbor was happy at the prospect of Pecan trees, so he will plant them in his yard, right next to mine, so I can see them anytime. I may have to get on him to plant them soon, I have held them for a while myself, they look good but if he farts around like I did I'll have to remoisten the media.

• lucky_p
    9 years ago

poaky,
    There have been American oaks grown in the UK since back in the 1600s. The N.A. members of the white oak group will hybridize readily with Q.robur - Sargent oak(Q.roburXmontana), in particular, is a possibility, if this seedling came from a Q.robur acorn.
    At the distance shown, I certainly can't be certain of anything, including leaf morphology; closeups of leaves, buds, etc. might be helpful.
    However, there's not any doubt in my mind about the Q.lyrata; it's not bur oak.

• gardener365
    9 years ago

Can't do anymore oaks here. I'm focused on pecans and have my spots flagged, already. My other land is full, but thank you. When I get libani acorns, and I will, I'll send to you. I have a note already written in plain view so there's no chance of forgetting.

I'm going to stick to my guns about that one being muehlenbergii, poaky. For me, it's not cerris.

Dax

• poaky1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I think you are right now Dax, I looked on Yahoo images, and I see how they are different. Sorry I didn't think it wasn't Cerris. I guess there could've been a Muehl. I was stuck on the whole it being in England where Cerris and Robur are native or I THINK Cerris is native. I have decided to plant the Cerris from you in my yard. Likely the tree would have been mowed over at Mt. Macrina. They have mostly large trees in their landscape, the guys mowing would'nt even see it. I could protect it but I wanted a Cerris, I see it is smaller than many oaks, so I put it somewhere it will be perfect for. Sorry to seem ungrateful, I thought I had one, and the yard is getting full, thanks again for it.

• poaky1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

You likely could'nt care less, but my neighbor still didn't plant the 2 Pecans. I saw this and got pissed, so I am planting them tomorrow. I will tell him I took them. He can go pound salt if he doesn't like it. I will plant them tomorrow, between mine and his yard. I am not worried he may get some pecans in the future, whatever, but I want to get em in the ground. I am glad you sent them Dax. Thanks

• gardener365
    9 years ago

Sure & if you need replacements on anything I sent, do ask.

Dax

• poaky1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I ended up giving him the 2 Pecans, he really wanted them, but anyhow. The one with a rootball is great, but the other one didn't have soil on the roots and dried up. He did plant them, I made sure, but the dirt came off the roots, and the heat did it in. I will reinburse your shipping if need be.

• gardener365
    9 years ago

I'll send some extras. You can plant them in a temp place in your own yard until his are established. Sent you an email. Reply and then I'll send.

Dax

• poaky1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Okay DAX, I told him we'll be getting more PECANS. I explained the 2 pecan trees needed to produce nuts, and how they need to be semi close to each other. So I have tried my best to set into motion the works to show the best Pecans made in the plant maturation.

• gardener365
    9 years ago

I have a note to ship on Monday.

Dax

• bengz6westmd
    9 years ago

poaky, your Musserforest 'burr' doesn't look like burr at all.

Long ago I got a free 'burr oak' from ArborDay(spl?), but it was a white oak, which was fine as I wanted one.

• poaky1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yeah Beng, I have heard that from others. If I would've known that, I would've planted it in the wetter area of my yard. But it is quite large, I am not going to move it. I still think it may be a hybrid of BurrXLyrata, because the shape isn't quite as "BUSY" as my known Lyrata, but I don't know for sure. IOW, my known Lyrata has a kinda wild top growth pointing in many different directions. But it is too young to say for sure.

• poaky1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Dax, the Burr from your acorn has put out another foot or more in height, I will take pics soon. I am glad for the lack of transplant shock, it is growing great.

• gardener365
    9 years ago

cruisin'...

• poaky1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Is the Cruisin' from the old song Cruisin' on a sunny afternoon' ? Well, it's me again, you are likely sick of me already, after all the Pecan tree emails. Well, I have a pic of the Burr oak from your acorn, well, pics. It has been chomped, so it was likely even taller. I am pissed about this browsing , because my dad's apple tree is about 20 ft away, with apples on it. It was a deer, no bunny or groundhog is tall enough. Well, maybe a crafty groundhog could bend down the limbs, but it just put out a new flush of more than a foot. It is still soft and fuzzy (the branch) here are pics I took today. {{gwi:382301}} {{gwi:382304}} {{gwi:382307}} I am not sure how much they ate, but hopefully not much. I guess the next growth spurt won't be until spring 2015, there are no more buds on top anyway. Unless it makes another top bud. Likely it will take it's time and harden off for the end of the season. I would say 3 ft or darned close this growing season. Here is a reminder of this tree early spring this year {{gwi:379330}} It has grown alot.

• hairmetal4ever
    9 years ago

Damn deer...

• poaky1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Dax, I am hoping the Burr will make a set of buds. I know it will actually. Likely in the perfect situation, there just may be another growth flush. There is a possibility of a bit of more growth.

• poaky1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hairmetal, I agree. There are lots of other things to eat now, why are they munching on trees?

• poaky1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Recommended listening Dax. The Moody blues. It's up to you which song you choose.

• gardener365
    9 years ago

You crack me up! :-)

Dax

• bengz6westmd
    9 years ago

Deer always chew on the smallest, most vulnerable trees.

• poaky1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

This is the 2nd smallest tree in that area Beng. The other is the Scarlet oak, but it is close to the neighbors corn and eggplant or squash plants, so blended in, I guess. Dax, try Tuesday afternoon, Moddy blues. I was born in 1970, that is close to when the song was put out, but I love that song. Nice relaxing song..... I am happy I protected the lower trunk of this Burr oak. I would imagine deer had been around when the tree was really small. There are lots of little apples near this tree, on an apple tree of course. They are small and insect ridden, but when did deer become particular? Now that I think about it there are 3 smaller oaks in the vacinity, 2 Willow oaks and a Swamp Chestnut oak.

• gardener365
    9 years ago

I walked my orchard and some dumb rabbit ate all the way around the trunk at the base of one of my plum trees, but was kind enough to leave about 3/4". I swear... so I went and got my aluminum foil and plant tape and wrapped all my fruit trees w/o cages.

I'll see what happens. See if that tree can heal itself with 80% bark missing. Worth a shot.

Check your email poaky - sent something 'special', lol.

Dax

• poaky1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I got your email and emailed you a zillion times already, you answered most already. I have seen them (whatever critter) leave about an inch. What really gets my goat is when they decapitate a small tree and leave the top laying on the ground near the stub they left. They should at least eat it, then you could rationalize they were hungry, well, if it is winter when it happens. Not in summer, like now. You know, i would put out bunny food pellets if they would poop near my trees afterwards, you know fertilizer.

• poaky1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I will be checking this tree soon. I think that the tree will likely be 3-4ft tall. If it has grown more than expected I will try to put a marker mentioning it has grown more than it was expected to grow. I will have a little to do with marking the growth of some of the trees near landmarks and grave markers here in Fayette county Pa near Uniontown and other nearby towns.

• poaky1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I will try to measure the tree soon. It will likely make buds soon, where the branches had made some lateral branching. I would be surprised if it didn't make a bit of branching now.