Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kate_may_gw

What tree is this?

Kate-May
9 years ago

Hello,

Do you have any idea what tree is this?!

We are in California. This must be a heat tolerant tree.
Thank you.

Comments (12)

• gardener365
    9 years ago

Hawthorne.

Dax

• salicaceae
    9 years ago

I'd say either cedar elm or winged elm, but a closeup of leaves would help.

• georgeinbandonoregon
    9 years ago

well, FWIW and IMHO hawthorns are not especially common in california landscapes and the leaves in the picture just doesn't seem to have the texture that i at least associate with that tree. especially in warm areas. the most common elm in mild winter parts of california is likely ulmus parvifolia (chinese evergreen elm which is often NOT evergreen, LOL) with fairly distinctive bark which i can't pick out from the picture. as mentioned already without closeups of leaves and or flowers or fruit it's hard to really say much of anything from the picture available, so sorry. that said, i'll take a fairly wild guess and say it might instead be a celtis/hackberry perhaps c. sinensis.

• aquilachrysaetos
    9 years ago

Branching pattern and leaves looks Elmish. Leaves look a bit large for Chinese elm.

• georgeinbandonoregon
    9 years ago

which is why FWIW i'm still leaning toward a celtis/hackberry and not an elm (though have seen chinese "evergreen" elm of 40' or so as street trees in chico, california)..

• Kate-May
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you all for your help. And sorry it took me so long to go back and take a picture of leaves and the trunk. Here is the leaf and I'll post the trunk.

This post was edited by Kate-May on Sat, Jul 12, 14 at 16:57

• Kate-May
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I hope these pictures help.

• Kate-May
    Original Author
    9 years ago

a close up!

• gardener365
    9 years ago

Oh you bet that's an elm. I'll defer to others as to what species.

Dax

• whaas_5a
    9 years ago

Looks like someone had it at Ulmus parvifolia

• Kate-May
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you all! I happen to see more of this tree in Bakersfield at their mature height and shape. The builder who built our house put this in our front yard where a master piece should be. I definitely don't like the shape of this one for that place. Any suggestion for a BEAUTIFUL tree I can place in this spot. Magnolias like Little gem is one option which I see survive in Bakersfield. But can you think of a better option?

• georgeinbandonoregon
    9 years ago

the possibilities for your area are many and it may all come down to how large a tree you want for how large a space. that said and mostly focusing on relatively small trees, you might consider the bronze loquat (eriobotrya deflexa). acacia stenophylla (kind of like an evergreen weeping willow), arbutus marina (lovely smooth reddish bark ,flowers and foliage), geijera parviflora (another weeping willow look alike but smaller than the acacia).parkinsonia (aka cercidium) florida (paloverde) and/or "desert museum" hybrid smooth greenish blue bark with bright yellow spring flowers. cercis (redbud) either the western native (c. occidentalis) or the eastern (c. canadensis) deciduous with good show of pink flowers). you could also go for a palm---queen palm (arecastrum romanzoffianum) is cheap and fast as pretty. brahea armata (mexican blue palm) is much slower but very impressive with silver blue foliage).all these trees to the best of my knowledge have (with proper care) a good track record in beautiful bakersfield. hope this helps.