Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dying Flowering Cherry Tree, Regrom from Suckers?

Posted by farmboy1 4/5 west of Chicago (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 27, 14 at 2:05

I have a Flowering Cherry tree of unknown origin in my back yard. For the past few years, it has bloomed very nicely in spring, but this year, due to the frigid winter, the tree leafed out, didn't bloom, and is dying back severely now. There are some suckers coming up from the base of the trunk.

Would it make sense to let the suckers grow and see how they progress as they have a full root system? Do these trees regrow fairly well in similar situations?

Attached picture is of the tree at it's best.

Thanks,

vince

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Dying Flowering Cherry Tree, Regrow from Suckers?

• Posted by farmboy1 4/5 west of Chicago (My Page) on
    Sun, Jul 27, 14 at 2:58

And here is a picture of the sucker. The trunk split has been there for years, but has gotten larger over time.

Vince

o
RE: Dying Flowering Cherry Tree, Regrom from Suckers?

Most ornamental cherries are budded or grafted onto an understock. The sucker is almost certainly coming from the understock. It will not be the same as the cherry you've had. Is there any chance that this cherry was not grafted and the suckers will be identical to the original tree? Yes, but the chances are very remote.

o

what he said...

i wouldnt be surprised.. if you checked close.. that the leaves arent even the same ...

its a goner.... in tree years.. that might be 5 to 10 years ... and speed might be a function of the knockout punch ma nature gives it this winter ...

my 20 year old kwanza ?? is doing the same thing ...

ken

o

• Posted by farmboy1 4/5 west of Chicago (My Page) on
    Sun, Jul 27, 14 at 22:42

Thanks. It's gone to the burn pile.

vince

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here