Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Coastal Redwood Potting Mix

Posted by phwagz NY (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 4, 14 at 2:30

Hello Ladies and Fellow Gardeners... I am new to this site but I just purchased 2 Coastal Redwood seedlings approx 6-8 inches tall...Can anyone out there give me a definitive potting soil mix so as to improve their chance of survival....example..30 percent Scotts blah blah blah.....30 percent gravel....20 percent Perlite... 20 percent Scotts Orchid Blah blah blah... I know it doesn't appear courteous, but it is.... I need names of products ..percents there of..time might be critical since I notice some browning on the branches...thank you very much.... Phwagz

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Coastal Redwood Potting Mix

My conifer growing mix is 75% perlite to 25% peat moss. The second week of July is when you need to cease fertilization so I'd only recommend you use liquid fertilizer this year and that should be mir-acid. Normally I use 3-month slow-release generic or osmocote added to containers at least three months prior to July 14th.

I've been growing conifers in this mix for many-many years because I graft conifers just about every winter.

Dax

o

Phwagz, the best mix for your situation is going to depend on your situation. How long do you plan to hold your plants in pots? If more than a brief time, are you prepared to replant them and provide necessary root system adjustment at least once per year?

o

search GW or google for:

al's gritty mix;

cactus mix for growing trees; or

potting media for growing trees

you might also try searching for how to grow a PNW tree indoors in winter in snow country ... humidity in a house with a furnace might be a big issue ...

one would expect you are not the first .. and wont be the last ... so start your search engine.. and go for it ....

and while you are at it.. think about where you will be growing it.. when its 367 feet tall ... lol

dax may have failed to mention... he grows trees in a greenhouse ... which may or may not make his mix good for inside a regular house ...

there is no definitive mix ... and there is no mix specifically for your plant... a tree is a tree ...

ken

o

Here's the latest edition of the thread Ken mentioned above (re: Al's gritty mix). I'm pretty sure it's the most well read and discussed contribution on Gardenweb (19 maxed-out threads and growing). It's well worth the read.

Here is a link that might be useful: Container Soils - Water Movement and Retention XIX

o

It's not a houseplant! ;-)

You living on the east coast is a good place to use my mix. My mix (Ken) is what Bob Fincham used when he ran his conifer-nursery in zone 6? Pennsylvania except Bob used 50/50. I like the airiness perlite brings and that's exactly why Al's "gritty" mix is so popular....!! if you have a substantial bank account, lol.

Poster: you can also purchase at home improvement stores: Pro-Mix, which is basically peat moss and perlite, lol..... I"m sorry I don't mean to laugh but this is downright silly.

Dax

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here