Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
arbo_retum

Which Elm is This?

arbo_retum
10 years ago

I will try to post a photo, but might a possible I.D.come into your mind from my description?:

There is a huge elm in Marblehead MA. that has the oddest leaf configuration. The 1-1 1/4 "L x 3/4" W leaves are bunched up in clusters, as if you took a pile of leaves and scrunched them up in your hand and laid them in a pile on a twig coming off a branch. And , twisted/scrunched as the leaves are, they reflect the sun, i guess, and they give the effect of big bunches of yellow flowers, covering the tree. The leaves are not narrow; they are heart shaped, uneven at their base, and scalloped/toothed. They are greyish on the underside and bright medium green on their top side, with some leaves yellow. As i mentioned, they do not lie flat, but rather are twisted/puckered/undulating within a tight scrunched bunch.

A Chinese Elm? Yellow is stress? or normal for whatever variety it is?
thx much for your thoughts.

Comments (3)

• saccharum
    10 years ago

Sounds like a tree that is suffering from herbicide damage. A picture would probably be in order.

• arbo_retum
    Original Author
    10 years ago

wow, a huge tree can suffer from herbicide damage?; i never knew. will post photo tomorrow/later today.

• Embothrium
    10 years ago

At the tips of the branches and roots trees are like herbaceous plants.