Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bitingimpression

What tree is this? how is the maintenance of it?

bitingimpression
9 years ago

What tree is this? how is the maintenance of it? Thanks!!

Comments (11)

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    9 years ago

Araucaria heterophylla is the only tree I know that looks like that. I would imagine no maintenance, other than removal of dead lower limbs. If you cut anywhere else you'll destroy the shape.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

i dont know this tree.. but anytime i see anything like that.. with the vigor it obviously has... i think about storm damage.. and where it would fall during such ...

and it either going to be your house.. or the neighbors ... or fall toward the street and the power lines ...

removal should be contemplated ... its obviously a forest tree planted about 50 feet to close to a house ...

ken

• Rhonda
    9 years ago

Norfolk Island Pine (not really a pine). I see them around Daytona Beach. Sold around Christmas in decorative pots as tabletop Christmas trees.

Rhonda

Here is a link that might be useful: Norfolk Island Pine

• Kippy
    9 years ago

They get VERY tall and roots will lift sidewalks many inches.

Where it is in your yard and how you use your yard might help you decide what to do with it. Once they get mature and the cones pollinate, they are small bowling balls that will either fall off as intact bowling balls or break apart in to thousands of sections.

Me, I would have never planted that Christmas tree.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    9 years ago

Hardy only in frost free zones (USDA 10 and above), otherwise sold as a houseplant.

• poaky1
    9 years ago

I am amazed at how different they look indoors as a houseplant, compared to those I have seen in the Florida keys. The needles grow upwards outdoors and hang down indoors, like an exxagerated Norway spruce.

• Toronado3800 Zone 6 St Louis
    9 years ago

That is very exotic looking to a boy in St Louis.

FWIW, I had some white ash which were planted where the mature branches were OVERHANGING my home and still have a huge oak in the yard only sixty or seventy feet out. It can fall on my house also. Amazingly none of the above ever damaged the driveway which got figteen feet from one and is ten feet from the other. Go figure.

But yeah, I try to plant where branches won't be over my home. A/C is cheap now.

• poaky1
    9 years ago

Toronado, if the oak overhanging your house is the Shingle oak, I am sure you are not really worried of individual branches doing damage, because Shingle oak doesn't make branches of massive size like most oaks. The outward branching that makes up the trees width has branches of 3-4 inches thick. I guess you may have other oaks in your yard, but I had thought you may be referencing the Shingle oak.

• Huggorm
    9 years ago

I have got english oak branches overhanging my one story house. No real concern for me, but the acorns sure make some loud noises when falling on my tin roof

9 years ago

It is the Shingle oak Poaky. Both last year and this year it dropped branches similar to this one which broke on a clear day. In fairness to the ol dog a F0 tornado 2 years ago leveled some trees across the street but the oak dropped nothing. My theory is oak trees have hard wood just like the oak lumber at the store. Just like the lumber they crack though. This branch showed a bit of a crack at its top then rot under that.

9 years ago

This one has the kid for scale.

What I took away from that and one of them ash dropping a similar tree trunk across my driveway was that nowadays only the thinnest outer branches of a tree should overhang my house.

If that oak's trunk ever absolutely failed and it fell to the west the top thirty or so feet of the tree would hit my house if my estimation is correct.

That I am less worried about. But I know all these trees drop branches over the decades.