Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Grafting for disease resistance?

Posted by plant_maniac10000001 6 OH (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 24, 11 at 4:20

Hi. sorry if this has been asked here before (It was too much to go throuhg all of the posts to find out). I have two 30+ year-old pink flowering crabapple trees in my yard that are very prone to cedar-apple rust. They normally drop their leaves around mid-late summer every year unless I spray with copper soap. Is it possible to graft a more resistant cultivar, such as Siberian, Wyman, Prariefire, etc. into the trees and cause it to develop a resistance(I'm talking about a disease resistant scion into disease-prone understock). Thanks in advance.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Grafting for disease resistance?

are you asking if you can use the old mature understock already there .. and add the resistant type????

ken

o

Yeah that's what he's asking. He wants to graft from a more-resistant type. The answer is no. Surely you could graft a more-resistant type but there will be no flow of "DNA" to help combat the already disease-prone 30-year trees.

Best Regards,

Dax

o

i was picturing him cutting the stump to 3 feet.. and grafting a few new pieces on ...

is that possible.. imagine the root mass on those fresh grafts.. lol ... probably shoot right out of the graft .. lol.. 45 caliber grafts ...

ken

o

Ken, it is possible, and people do it to make use of established rootstock, but it does look strange:

http://www.infobharti.com/how-and-why/plants-and-animals/can-one-tree-produce-the-fruit-of-a-different-tree.php

To the OP, Dax is correct...only the branches you graft on would have resistance.

Alex

Here is a link that might be useful: cleft grafts

o

Youtube has a pretty good cleft graft demo video, for anyone interested.

In this case though, it sounds like replacement of the entire tree with a disease resistant cultivar might be better.

Here is a link that might be useful: Fruitwise apple tree grafting, the cleft graft

o

Wow, thanks everyone for all of the excellent info! From the video, it looks possible, but I think that would look terrible in the front yard. I'd rather deal with the leaf drop at this point, lol...

o

That's some funny sheeeeaaaat Ken. Pretty much true actually!

Dax

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here