Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kimberlyrkb

Wind Damaged Tree

kimberlyrkb
9 years ago

We had a storm roll through about 3 weeks ago that damaged a tree next to our house. We thought it would bounce back into place but thus far has not. I'm not sure what kind of tree it is. Is there anything we can do to help it become upright again? Thank you.

Comments (16)

• tenacre
    9 years ago

1) Post a close-up of a leaf, and the bark. Make sure to use the "macro" setting on your camera so the picture is focused.

2) How far is that tree from your house?

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

at it size.. its improperly sited ...

and that is the root of the damage.. rather than the storm ...

it was probably already leaning away from the house.. searching for sunlight ... and the wind just helped it past the tipping point ... ...

depending on what it is.. and whether it can be renovated... i will hold back on the suggestion that it should be removed...

ken

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    9 years ago

Looks more like shrub than a tree. Anyway, since it is already multi stemmed you will do not harm by cutting out some of them if it doesn't straighten itself out in time.

• mikebotann
    9 years ago

I would cut it off and be done with it.
    Or, cut it off and keep cutting it off when it gets too big again. It's improperly sited.
    Mike

• lazy_gardens
    9 years ago

Not all trees are worth saving, and that appears to be one of the ones that is not savable.

It's too close to the house to be healthy - look how it it leaning out to get sun. And it's been damaged or badly pruned enough to develop multiple weak trunks.

While it is small, get rid of it and plant a tree in a better spot for shade or whatever that thing is doing for you.

• kimberlyrkb
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the replies. I don't think it's an important tree but I was hoping we could save it even if it is properly sited.

The tree was already there when we bought the house, and despite its close proximity to the house, used to stand up straight until the wind damage - it didn't used to lean at all and didn't need to stretch to get sun (plenty of sun in that particular spot).

I think we will take it down. Thanks again.

• mosquitogang201
    9 years ago

How long ago was the tree planted? I agree that tree is too close to the house but do believe you that it's wind damage.

Where I live we can get some pretty strong windstorms. Builders plant these 8 ft trees in new developments and parking lots where old farmland used to be. So full sun and no windbreaks. It seems like the majority of them end up warped like that in the prevailing wind direction after a couple months. Not crooked at soil level but physically bent trunks. I think they're weak from spending too much time on a nursery stake. I wonder if they will ever straighten out of it.

• kimberlyrkb
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The tree was planted years ago. We have been here 7 years and it was pretty good sized when we moved in. It stood straight for all the time we have lived here until just a few weeks ago.

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    9 years ago

We still haven't done an ID, which I would suggest.

But, as has been said, chances are very good that if you cut it down (within an inch or two of the ground, but not below soil level) it would resprout and grow back into a decent size plant fairly quickly. If you're not sure what you want to do with it, why not post a picture of two (close-up of leaves, including branching habit) for ID?

• kimberlyrkb
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the continued help. Here is a pic of leaves.

• kimberlyrkb
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here is the bark. It flowers in the spring for a couple of weeks. The flowers are a green/yellow/beige and remind me of hydrangea blooms, although they are flat instead of mounds or balls.

• mikebotann
    9 years ago

The groundcover with silver edged leaves is called Lamium galeobdolon, or Yellow Archangel. It's the most uncontrollable weed for wild places here that I've ever seen. Don't let it get loose.
    It might be OK in zone 5 though, but I doubt it.
    Mike

• kimberlyrkb
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Unfortunately I am all too familiar with Lamium. It was here when we moved in, and unfortunately it is throughout the woods that surround our home and in the state game area that backs up to our property. I don't know who introduced it, but it was a huge, huge mistake.

• Huggorm
    9 years ago

I think that bush is some kind of viburnum, but I don't know which species. Nice one though.

This post was edited by Huggorm on Wed, Jul 30, 14 at 11:41

• tenacre
    9 years ago

> kimberlyrkb Wed, Jul 30, 14 at 10:26 wrote:
    > Here is a pic of leaves.

Nice sharply focused close-up. Well done. Tell the good folks here how you did it.

• kimberlyrkb
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Tenacre, thanks. I actually just used my ipad. Point and shoot. ;)

Sponsored
EA Home Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars69 Reviews
Loudoun County's Trusted Kitchen & Bath Designers | Best of Houzz