Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
onthebrinck

New Tree from Hell! Bradford Pear

onthebrinck
10 years ago

i have a single tree, now about 20 feet tall (or at least it was before Hurricane Sandy lopped off a few of the taller branches). Nonetheless, it's in an ideal spot, is the perfect shape, and behaves (generally) in keeping with its surroundings. it's also in a tightly planted border of laurel, holly, azalea, yews --- you get the idea ... removal and replacement might be very difficult if not impossible. The only problem with it is that its roots send up suckers by the hundreds virtually everywhere within a 10 foot radius. Bad enough mowing them in the lawn where they leave sturdy little stems that stab your barefeet, but they grow up and through the other shrubs until their leaves peak out above the azaleas and hollies. I'm on my hands and knees and often flat on my stomach once a week (at least) with a hand pruner crawling under the shrubs and finding and cutting the stems. I'm reluctant to spray with Roundup for fear of harming the other plants and bringing the herbicide to the mother tree.

Comments (3)