Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mommasunshine_gw

Staghorn Sumacs are dying

MommaSunshine
12 years ago

Hello all,

I have a large grove of staghorn sumacs on the border of my backyard. There must be about 20-30 treees, most of which are mature and about 20 feet tall. For some reason, they are all dying. It started with just one, the leaves turned yellow and red, the branches wilted, then it died. And now all the others are slowly dying. Even a sumac tree about 30 feet from the main grove is starting to show the yellowing leaves and wilt.

I am heartbroken and very worried that all the sumac trees are going to die. No more songbirds in the winter! No more beautiful palm effect in summer! I have searched the web extensively and cannot find any reason why this is happening.

The only thing to note is that I did plant a perennial garden right in front of the grove this spring. I tilled the area and removed a large number of staghorn roots and suckers. Did I cause some sort of root rot or disease by cutting the roots? I hope someone can help me. Thanks!

Comments (17)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    12 years ago

we need a picture ...

is your lawn sprayed professionally???

they grow wild on the roadsides in MI .... i doubt they are so foo foo.. that you could harm them with a little digging ...

the link might give you some leads with problems ....

you might want to talk with your county extension office ...

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

• mad_gallica (z5 Eastern NY)
    12 years ago

Probably drought dormancy from a combination of very hot/dry weather and fewer roots to move water. I haven't seen it here, but my sumacs are in the swamp.

• denninmi
    12 years ago

They do get some kind of borer as well, I've had that happen to mine, a couple of times they actually snapped off where borers had weakened the trunks.

But, this species is really hard to kill. Unless it is something like herbicide drift (unlikely), they should sprout right back up from the roots.

Now, it is possible that you disturbed enough of the root area that it left them susceptible to heat and drought, especially the intense heat we've had this past week. But, even at that, you won't kill the entire plant, just the weaker above ground growth.

The best thing I can suggest is to water them, remove anything that is definitely dead, and fertilize well in the spring. I'm sure it will bounce back with vigor -- it's sumac, after all.

• poaky1
    12 years ago

They are weed trees here too. I guess they do look nice with the seeds on. I've seen them in plant catalogs and was shocked, I've probably payed good money for plants that were someone elses weeds too. I'm no expert but the pruning may be the thing to do.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

next time start you own post...

they are trees.. not children.. it is NEVER a feeding issue ...

i would wonder more.. what the neighbor threw on it ..

ken

• Acadiafun
    9 years ago

What Ken said. These "weed" trees are very hardy and my zone 6 area I do not see any of these trees stressed in the parks or the "weedy" areas. I suspect foul play because it takes so much to kill these trees. BTW- I caught my neighbor spraying weed killer on our property line. He has been doing it for years and did not think I would mind. So my question is- do you have a neighbor who might do such a thing?

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    9 years ago

Virtually nothing affects these shrubs (yes, technically they are considered a suckering shrub) - no serious insect or disease issues. About the only thing they won't tolerant is excessively wet soils and wet soils/poor drainage can lead to root rots. The only way you will know for sure is to dig up one of the shrubs that is on its way out and examine the roots. You should also know that sometimes these symptoms of wilting/failing do not show up immediately. So earlier periods of very heavy rains or excessive water levels in the soil could be the culprit for what is happening now.

btw, your "grove" is really just a single plant consisting of multiple stems connected by a common root system. Even the one 30' away is likely part of the same clan. That's why all the shrubs are showing the same signs.

• Toronado3800 Zone 6 St Louis
    9 years ago

When I read garden I think farmers and when I think farm I have images of Roundup. Roundup sprayed on them pesky sumac root suckers in this case. Never use Roundup nead suckering plants.

Great, now I am thinking about Monsanto/Solutia and then I must spray this pesky grape vine a few more tines.

• poaky1
    9 years ago

I would guess that grabbing a couple of the red seed heads, and sowing the seeds on the ground would be the easiest way to start your "grove" again. They always were the epitome of "invasive weed" around here, in full sun, that is. Birds eat the seeds, so they have been of some use.

• Lisa Snyder
    6 years ago

That is what my tree is doing ,so do I cut off the dried shriveled up branches?

• Sally Benjamin
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

It sounds like verticillium wilt . See this publication for management. Many trees suffer from this disease.

https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/stelprdb5347330.pdf

• Just want the truth
    3 years ago

We have very large mature Staghorn Sumac Trees on our property.

Last year and now today same thing happened literally overnight. 6 of our huge sumac trees were completely stripped of the staghorn leaving the stem. Their so big that it just is mind boggling, how is this possible? Literlly overnight, any clues as to what could possibly do this.

Thank you.

P.S. the only thing that has actually killed some of our Sumac is Bittersweet vines and Grape vines. The weight choked and killed them

• bengz6westmd
    3 years ago

Just want the truth -- pics would be very helpful. Otherwise we're just guessing.

• Patti Richards
    3 years ago

No shriveling first?

• HU-622681004
    last year

Any time you cut any part of the tree, including roots, without disinfecting your cutting device with rubbing alcohol or 10% bleach solution you risk spreading diseases to the plant. Rototilling a garden where you are hitting tree roots runs a high risk of spreading a soil borne disease like verticillium wilt through the damaged roots even if you disinfect.

• poaky1
    last year

I have to be honest with YOU. Staghorn Sumac trees are seen in my area as "weed trees", in other words, they are trees that are seen as being like "weeds". They had been growing wild along the driveway near mine and my neighbors house. AND, somehow Staghorn Sumac seems to have been given more respect from my neighbor, than it should have been given.

Even though the Staghorn Sumac is a kinda "Trash tree" of a tree that is REALLY seen as a UNLOVED tree. I really DO welcome that anybody who see's the "Staghorn Sumac" as being a SOURCE of HORRIBLE news about just how much looking into the problems between the actual ":bitching about what is wrong", could ever be able to show the actual conflict about the problems could ever be clear enough to solve the mystery.