Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Burning away tree stump with charcoal or oil

Posted by KendraSchmidt none (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 29, 12 at 8:53

I would like to know what to do with the stumps of a small tree and bushes that have been cut down.

The stumps are exposed and I'm researching to narrow down what my options are to remove the stumps.

There are people here who burn it out with diesel/fuel, which I have no intention of using. What I would like to know is how to burn the stumps with charcoal, or another oil as an alternative. I almost feel silly asking this, but can something like olive oil or vegetable oil be used to burn the stump, instead of fuel.

I have absolutely no intention of simply leaving the stumps there. So please, any recommendations regarding burning it out with charcoal or some sort of oil would be helpful. Thanks everyone.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Burning away tree stump with charcoal or oil

what do you consider small stumps???

what about just some digging and cutting ...

i doubt you will 'burn' anything IN the soil .. at best you will simply be burning that which is above ground ... at which point.. you could just cut them flush.. and accomplish the same thing ...

also.. with the extended drought and heat.. there are burning bans in many areas ... surely you dont need a $500 fine .. check into that ...

if these are what i call small .. anything under about 3 inches.. i would just dig them out.. start digging about 3 feet out from the stump .. have the sawzall ready.. and just go to it ... and this will give you a clean hole to plant something new in ....

frankly.. i know what you want.. the EASY way .. and with stumps .. there is no easy way ...

good luck .. have fun.. but be safe ...

ken

o

• Posted by botann z8 SEof Seattle (My Page) on
    Sun, Jul 29, 12 at 11:21

I assume you're not going to dig, or pull them up.

I have burned out stumps before and will probably do a few more. I just make a campfire on them after digging out around the stump to expose it more. On large old stumps they can sometimes smoke for days or weeks in a few cases and burn right down in the ground on the roots for several feet.
I have also used a stump or two for a compost pile. Add a little fert once in awhile and they will decompose.

Another option is to cut it off, after digging around it, and add a few wheelbarrows of soil and then plant a groundcover. After all, the stump only takes up a few square feet
I've even planted Sedums on a few as shown below. By next year you won't be able to see the stump.
Mike

Sedums on a stump

o

I wonder if refined gasoline is cleaner burning than cooking oils.

Through most of the midwest and Colorado this is not burning season.

A stump grinder, shovel, new cheap dirt and patience have to be the way to go for instant removal of anything larger than 18in across. A thinner stump and maybe a sawzall. I have blown afternoons removing honeysuckle stumps. Of course I hate resprouting invasive honeysuckle

o

Do not use gasoline, it can ignite explosively. Charcoal lighter fluid would work great, drill some holes and let it soak in.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here