Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Quercus nuttallii F2 "New Madrid"

Posted by gardener365 IL 5b (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 3, 14 at 8:53

6' tall I reckon.

Quercus nuttallii F2 seedling of "New Madrid"
Quercus nuttallii seedling of
(uploaded to photobucket if you wish to view larger)

Dax

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Quercus nuttallii F2 "New Madrid"

Thanks, good to see it is doing well for you.

o

Appreciate that David.

Dax

o

• Posted by whaas 5a SE WI (My Page) on
    Fri, Jul 4, 14 at 8:54

Hell yeah, I love these guy Oaks...although this one looks to be yours. How is it different form the original?

My Birthday Candle and Chimney Fire are about 6' now. Windcandle is about 2'.

I need to get Prince of Darness and then the Rough Rider and Big John. I refuse to buy from the current retail outlet due their pricing and they guoge you on shipping, worst then anyone in the industry. If you're grafting let me know!

I should have something for you to graft up.

o

I ran out of oak seedlings, however I have some bicolor seedlings that may/may not be of size for this coming grafting season. I definitely have a branch I could spare on my Rough Rider but my Big John was nipped by rabbits to (1) bud both last year, and the year prior. I basically have (2) 6" branches. Guy may/may not have a specimen of Big John that he'll be able to collect scionwood from. Big John is located somewhere else away from his arboretum. 'Prince of Darkness' I'd have to get scionwood from him as-well. My plant was eaten by rabbits to (1) bud just like Big John and also two times. I was thankful to have had that single bud bring back my plant. And as of now I have no beech seedlings, but, I'm going to try and get just a few from a friend this month if he even has them...

I have Birthday Candle and Chimney Fire so don't need wood. And Windcastle I don't need wood of either as I don't have a place for one.

This New Madrid comes true from acorns probably 99% of the time. Guy gave me a seedling from the ortet so that's the only difference, whaas. F2 denoting it's a second generation seedling from the ortet/partent.

Happy though to graft for you, anytime. I have no compatible seedlings for New Madrid right now unless I can find some local ones to dig up and pot. I'll keep my eyes peeled.

Dax

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here