Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
3 year old October Glory Maple Question

Posted by andrelaplume2 usa (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 10, 07 at 9:13

I realize this is a lot like a doctor trying to diagnose a patient he can not really see but I thought perhaps someone with experience may have some thoughts.

My father-in-law lost a big giant shade tree 5 years ago. It had to be taken down and the trunk grinded. After 2 years with no shade he opted to have a new tree put in. They installed an staked an October Glory Maple about 15 feet from where the prior one was.

It did well for 3 years. This year, there are no leaves at all! It looks like some sprouts are there but so far (and its July!) no leaves. The tree is about 15 feet high. Anywhere I scratch a branch is green underneath. Weather has not been extreme over the last year. He started watering and feeding it but still no leaves.

Any ideas on what might be going on?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 3 year old October Glory Maple Question

Some photos of the trees might offer some clues. You can upload the photos to imageshack.us for free without sigining up and we can take a look. Be sure to include a photo showing the base of the tree and the ground.

o

I'll try to get some this evening.

o

I had some 3 year old questions, too, but I've forgotten what they were . . .*

Agree that photos would help. Possible causes include root self-strangulation (coiled roots from a potbound plant, which circle round the trunk and strangle it as they thicken with growth), deep planting (burying the tree too deep for the roots to get the surface soil aeration they need), and fungal disease (some decay fungi in the roots of the old tree might be pathogenic enough to kill the new tree).

Resin

* Sorry, couldn't resist! ;-)

o

I'll try to post pics...sounds like it could be impossible to tell.

o

• Posted by jean001 z8aPortland, OR (My Page) on
    Wed, Jul 11, 07 at 2:26

Your pictures are here

http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/load/trees/msg0720163111497.html?1

Here is a link that might be useful: the pictures

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here