Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hairmetal4ever

ideas for a grove of white oaks

hairmetal4ever
10 years ago

I'm brainstorming. I was thinking about this. Plant a small grove of about 5 Quercus alba. Farther apart than in a woodland setting, but close enough that their canopies touch. Spaced out pretty evenly, but not so symmetrical it looks "artificial".

Then underplant with low growing groundcovers and small shrubs.

Question - what are good understory plants that will thrive long-term under oaks with minimal maintenance (some mulching until they cover the ground, weeding, etc, but not much else)? Ideally they'd be able to survive full sun while the trees are small but be OK with shade as they grow.

Comments (11)

• greenthumbzdude
    10 years ago

Dogwoods and redbuds would work for understory trees...are u trying to create a savanna? If so I would do bur oak instead since they grow in small groves in nature...white oak is more of a forest tree

• hairmetal4ever
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Redbuds are one thing i thought of.

My other idea was, instead of a true understory/overstory, to put maybe three oaks (or any large tree, really) in an irregular triangle, maybe 30' apart, and then in "front" plant 2 small flowering trees; like redbuds, dogwoods, flowering crabs/cherries, etc or countless other small flowering trees placed so that the large trees provide maybe afternoon shade (the small trees maybe east-facing for shade in the hot afternoons). A 3/2 configuration, 3 large trees, 2 small trees.

Asthetically, would it be better to have the three large trees all the same species & the 2 small trees as well?

Such as 3 white oaks, 2 redbuds, or 3 Liriodendron, 2 dogwood, etc?

My thoughts for "big" trees:

Any large growing oak
    Tuliptree/Yellow Poplar (or just call it Liriodendron)
    Dawn Redwood
    Baldcypress
    Acer saccharum

Thoughts?

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

you have collector genes..

why in the world would you plant more than one of anything????

do you want a collection of cool trees.. or a monoculture grove???

why all of one oak??? ... that all have the same fall color .... throw in a variegated robur ????

why duplicates of the same flowering tree.. that all will bloom the same moment ... 3 such.. blooming 2 weeks apart.. gives you a 6 week flower show ....

etc ....

ken

• Huggorm
    10 years ago

A grove of one or only a few species gives a much '"cleaner" look than having a mix of several species. I am going to experiment with it my self, I will choose two species of canopy trees and plant at least a dozen of each. Beneath will be a shrub layer of also one or two species, maybe some of the more modest kind of japanese maples.

• joeschmoe80
    10 years ago

Depends on the look you're going for, I guess.

• brad_s
    10 years ago

I dunno Ken, when I consider the wooded areas and savannahs in my area, it's nothing to see a dozen or more grand old specimens of a single species grouped within the space of acres. It all works out well.

Respectfully, I think you ought to lighten up a tad on the 'diversity' kick (yes, it does have it's place) and join me in congratulating Hairmetal for choosing to experiment with such a noble tree. Not many folks would consider a tree such as this where patience is required. FWIW, I think that even in their youth, Q Alba's are very handsome trees.

To answer your question Hairmetal, I'd suggest that perhaps it may be a good idea to to take a walk in the Oak woodlands in your area with a new set of eyes paying close attention to what native (or desired) species that you find growing therein to fit your objectives.

Have fun with it!

Brad N.IL/Z5

• nurseryman33
    10 years ago

Don't forget one of my favorite understory plants - common witch hazel (Hamamelis virginiana). Takes sun or shade, prefers moist, well drained soil, blooms in October, a bit slow but faster than most people give it credit for, yellow fall color, probably native in MD.

• Toronado3800 Zone 6 St Louis
    10 years ago

Eldeberry is a different creature which thrives in the shade under my walnuts.

Viburnum might do. There are a hundred cultivars. Please no honeysuckle lol.

• hairmetal4ever
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Seems most of our woodlands here are Liriodendron plus various oaks (alba, rubra mostly, sometimes others depending on the site) in the overstory, with Acer rubrums struggling in the understory, and at the edge of the woods...but that's just what I see from the highway. Occasionally a redbud or something shows up.

I'll have to take a walk!

• j0nd03
    10 years ago

Yes hair, always a good idea to visit a few state parks and walk a few miles on their various trails to get a good feel for what is native and thriving around you.