Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What is eating leaves of tree

Posted by thindery Missouri (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 14, 14 at 9:21

I think I have a Japanese Maple tree. This tree gets watered every other day by a system in the early morning. I use typical pellet weed n feed on the surrounding lawn. I also use pellet lawn pesticides yearly. I have a neighbor with the exact same tree and she does not have any issues like this. Her tree is lush and full of healthy looking leaves.

This year the tree leaves started looking very bad. I think something may be eating through my leaves and causing the terrible damage - however I have never seen bugs on the tree. But, there are little cocoons hanging all over the tree that lead me to the bug suspicion. I could be wrong.

I have included a picture so you can see the damage done to the tree leaves, as well as red circles around some of these cocoons.

Does anyone know what is causing the damage and how I can alleviate it?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What is eating leaves of tree

Bagworms are inside the bags on your second pic. Remove them by hand and put in fire. Check next week and thereafter for some you may have missed.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bagworm Factsheet

o

As an aside, you might want to rethink the use of weed 'n feed products or even granular lawn pesticides. Weed 'n feed products are a very inefficient method of delivering weed control, applying as much as 25-30 times the amount of herbicide actually necessary. And because of their broadcast method of application, you wind up applying to areas that do not have any weeds. They are also responsible for the bulk of homeowner-caused water pollution, leaching pesticides into ground water and streams. They can also be harmful to pets and children (easily picked up on paws and bare feet), both of which are much more sensitive to these chemicals than are adults. They are not preventative in action and only have an effect on existing broadleaf weeds. They can also have a negative impact on soil health.

If you need to apply a lawn pesticide, select one that is sprayable, and spot weed (spray directly on the weed) as necessary. Treat for insect problems ONLY if they are demonstrated to exist. Once these liquids dry, they are not readily transported by pets and kids and they do not leach into groundwater.

The need for any of these pesticide products is limited simply by improving lawn health through proper mowing and watering practices and by the judicial use of fertilizers, organic preferred.

o

thanks for the info guys! I really appreciate it :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here