Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
maquiaveli

When to Plant an Oak

Maquiaveli
10 years ago

I managed to germinate the acorn of an oak (quercus crispula) I retrieved from Aomori, Japan. You can see in the attached photo its current status (the pencil next to the pot should give an indication of scale; the pot is about 6" by 7" or thereabouts). I want to put this tree in the ground but I'm not sure when I should do it. I don't want to keep it in the pot too long as I understand it's growth can be severely hindered. I'm in the middle of summer in Japan, it's hot and there's not much rain. Is it OK to put this tree in the ground now, or should I wait until fall or later still, spring? Another possible issue is that the spot I want to plant this tree in is in a field far enough away from where I live that I would not be able to water it. Rainy season here is June (so I've missed a big chance). I'm just wondering if I should hold out until next spring or get this tree in the ground now. Any advice?

Thanks,

M.

Comments (6)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

hi

my fall back would be to plant a deciduous tree.. when it is dormant.. w/o leaves ... to avoid transplant shock

but.. some suggest fall planting.. and other spring planting for oak ...

and i surely dont know when is better in japan ...

but since it is very hard to winter over dormant trees indoors.. i think i would get it done.. right after leaf fall ... as i would figure i have a greater chance killing it indoors or in that small pot in winter.. as compared to letting mother nature take care of it ...

and all this presumes.. it is fully zone appropriate for your climate... of which i don not know....

ken

• arktrees
    10 years ago

Basically with Ken,
    Assuming it is proper for your zone, then I would plant in fall, especially since the entire rootball will be going into the ground. From what I understand, bare root oaks in fall can be a problem due to not being able to store adequate water, but that would not be what you are doing. Overall, I try to plant most of our stuff in fall, it just gives it more time to develop roots before dry summer weather.

Are these Oaks native to the area you want to plant it? If so, then barring unusual weather, I think it would survive just fine assuming reasonable soil.

Arktrees

• j0nd03
    10 years ago

Is it just a camera effect, or is there quite a bit of blue on those leaves?

That thing is gorgeous

• scotjute Z8
    10 years ago

Take it out of pot and look at roots. If they are starting to circle, for optimum growth the tree shouid be repotted to a larger pot. In general potted trees can be planted almost any time of year if you can provide ample water to them and ground is not frozen. That said, I would follow the recommendations above and wait till fall.

• Maquiaveli
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi, everyone. Thank you kindly for your advice. I think I will do it in the fall. The oak is from Oirase forest in Aomori, Japan, which is in the northernmost part of Honshu island (i.e., the main island) of Japan and famous for its forests. I took the acorn in October and kept it in my refrigerator until March. It's been growing in my Tokyo office since then. I hope to put this tree in a field about 85 km outside of the city--a spot I know where it will be left alone. Based on the information I've found, it's natural habitat would be zone 6a and it will be going to zone 8b, which may or may not present a problem. In any event, I can't just leave it in a pot forever, so I'll hope for the best when I put it in the ground. In the meantime, I will check the roots and pot up if necessary. Thanks again!

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    10 years ago

When you do examine the root system, be sure to address any circling/pot-bound roots BEFORE/DURING the potting up process.