Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Very Small Specimen/Ornamental Tree Suggestions

Posted by annoc z6Boston (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 2, 10 at 10:03

Hello to All,
I am in the process of reworking (once again) a narrow (@3-) border and would like to have a mixed border with at least one small tree and several shrubs and perennials. I am looking for a narrow airy small tree that is not too large ( @6- 10 feet) that I can keep wispy and not too heavy. I am in Zone 6 (Boston) and the area is in full sun and abuts a 4 ft tall wrought iron fence that separates it from a park with another 3 feet of shrubs. In my mind I am thinking of a lacy upright japanese maple but am concerned about the full sun. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. annoc

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Very Small Specimen/Ornamental Tree Suggestions

Are you looking for a flowering tree or an evergreen?

The Arbor Day Foundation has this cool tool called the Best Tree Finder: Tree Wizard it ask 4 questions to narrow down choices for you
1) Zip Code (so can find your zone)
2) Type of Trees (Evergreen, Flowering, Ornamental, Shade...)
3) Soil and Sun
4) Height, Spread, and Growth rate desired

Here is a link that might be useful: Best Tree Finder: Tree Wizard

o

• Posted by annoc z6Boston (My Page) on
    Fri, Jul 2, 10 at 10:26

Thank you Trees 123- That will definitely be a bookmarked site- I am looking for a non evergreen - flowering or not. I used the link but only a crabapple came up that was closest to the size but a little too wide/dense. Perhaps shaping one of the suggested shrubs into more of a tree shape might be another direction. Thank you for the link. annoc

o

You could always try a dwarf fruit tree. We just bought a dwarf plum tree for a small area. It will make beautiful flowers in the spring and you'll have some fruits in the summer! Dwarf peaches or plums would be nice, but I'd stay away from dwarf apples...I've seen many a "dwarf" apple get humungous.

o

Their are also a lot of dwarf Japanese maple cultivars that stay very small, and could work well for you.

o

I have a 'pink fleshed' apple that is a natural dwarf and is staying quite small without much pruning.

Also, I recently read an article on summer pruning for fruit trees. The author's POV was that it takes two prunings yearly to keep dwarf fruit trees at an appropriate size. Dormant pruning in the late winter is for shaping the growth but does not limit size, a second pruning in the late summer should keep the tree from getting too big.

But fruit trees have their own problems - mainly fruit dropping and rotting if it is not all picked. I faced a similar situation and ended up choosing a large shrub that could be trained into a tree-like form.

o

• Posted by annoc z6Boston (My Page) on
    Tue, Jul 6, 10 at 20:05

Thank you for all your suggestions as I keep investigating.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here