Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
downeast_gardener

Watering Bags for New Plantings

downeast_gardener
14 years ago

I want to purchase several of the plastic collar-type tree watering bags offered in a number of online venues - these aren't available locally to me. None that I've seen are truly inexpensive and I'd like to hear comments by forum members who have used these in the past and any recommendations that they might have. Thanks ... DG

Comments (15)

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    14 years ago

I use a 5 gallon bucket with a small hole in the bottom. Works just as well, easier to handle and move, and free.

• iforgotitsonevermind
    14 years ago

I have about a dozen of pre-owned TreeGators in varying condition that I would be willing to part with cheap.

• Dan _Staley (5b Sunset 2B AHS 7)
    14 years ago

Tree gators, tree rings, etc are generally used by the trade because the needs are different than for homeowners. Our house has two urban foresters & old landscape guy and we plant lots of trees, and never have used a gator. Brandon's reply is a time-honored idea and works just fine. Plan B is take the hose out there and turn on a trickle overnight.

Dan

• iforgotitsonevermind
    14 years ago

I think the bags are more convenient than buckets.

They distribute the water evenly. A bucket does not.
    The original tree gator puts out 20 gallons and retails for $20.
    A 5 gallon bucket puts out 5 gallons and retails for $5.
    It takes 4 buckets to equal one tree gator.

Money wise, it's the same so the gator bags are more convenient. They also look nicer than a bunch of buckets sitting around

• tmore
    14 years ago

Tree gators are a good choice

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    14 years ago

Anyone that pays for a five gallon bucket just doesn't know where to look. Many industries use these and end up with large amounts of them for which they don't have a need. Check with a heavy equipment dealer or contractor for free buckets. You will have to clean the oil out, but that's not too big of a deal. A few drops of Dawn will remove the film and result in a clean, safe bucket.

The soil takes care of distributing the water evenly. With larger newly planted trees, multiple buckets may be used.

Either buckets or watering bags work, but I much prefer the buckets.

• iforgotitsonevermind
    14 years ago

How long does it take to clean out the oil, paint, dish soap and other mystery residue?
    Because we were even on the price but when you have to spend all that time sourcing unwanted buckets, driving to the warehouse district to pick them up and then cleaning them out then that is what I consider to be an official pain in the rear end.

• davidandkasie
    14 years ago

but the buckets can also be used during the harvest of fruits/veggies and many other things. the tree rings cannot. as long as the job at hand does not require the bucket to be liquid tight, it will work. basically it is a matter of opinion and if you care what it looks like!

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    14 years ago

I asked an employee at a store I was at if they happened to have any extra buckets. He said he would look and went to the back. It took him every bit of a full minute to go back and get the buckets. Then when I got home, I probably spent about 5 minutes per bucket to clean them out good (the store had already drained them thoroughly). It would have taken me a lot longer than that to shop for those bags.

• iforgotitsonevermind
    14 years ago

The carbon emissions to get the buckets are enough to destroy the planet.

So there.

If you're saying it takes you 5 mins to clean out each bucket, that's 20 minutes to equal the 4 buckets you will need to compare to one tree gator. You can order tree gators online or over the phone and it doesn't require going anywhere.

• Marie Tulin
    14 years ago

Oh my goodness- what are you two doing?

• iforgotitsonevermind
    14 years ago

Suffice it to say, if you're a DIY type and are into dumpster diving and spending $10 worth of time on a 10 cent problem, and don't plant trees for a living and don't live in an HOA, buckets may be for you.

If you just need the simplest, nicest looking, most cost effective and least time consuming solution, tree gators may be for you.

Afterall, the point of a tree gator is to save time from watering. People that get tree gators are looking for convenience.

There is a tree watering solution for everyone.

I'm done so the others can get in the last words.

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    14 years ago

"I have about a dozen of pre-owned TreeGators in varying condition that I would be willing to part with cheap."
    Hmmm...LOL

Seriously though, there are some real drawbacks. I think the biggest one is that the bags need to be filled in place. This makes them useless in my opinion. If I could get a hose to where I needed to water, I'd just use the hose.

• ben686
    10 years ago

http://www.instructables.com/id/DIY-Tree-Gator-Water-Bag/

DIY tree gator bag....looks promising!
    Just a heavy duty garbage bag with a compressible clamp hose attachment

Here is a link that might be useful: DIY Tree gator bags

• ben686
    10 years ago

Followup to prior post! I modified the above instructions to make it even cheaper and easier - no pvc or pipe thread needed and all fittings match standard hoses. Just the end instead of sewing or trying to seal with advanced methods (similar to the diagram with hose attachement at right corner). Total cost for 1 bag about $6 + cost of construction garbage bags and old hose

Parts:
    1) Female hose compression repair fitting (plastic). Choose one with 2 scews on either side - not the sharp metal scew style or the one with large teeth.
    2) 2 inch section of old hose for hose repair to match the fitting (or cut smaller lengthwise to enlarge)
    3) Shutoff valve (as described)
    4) Hose disconnect. Optional, but saves effort
    5) 55gallon construction garbage bag

Steps:
    1) Cut very small corner in bottom corner of garbage bag (similar to the corner diagram above) for 1/2 inch hole.
    2) Insert the female hose mending attachment through the hole. Keep it very snug. Female adapter is on the outside of the bag.
    3) Slide small 2" section of hose overtop of garbage bag. The hose will serve to compress the garbage bag between the hose mending fitting and the insert for the hose. So your basically repairing a hose and just happen to trap 2" long section of the 55g plastic bag beneath the hose.
    4) On the female adapter on the outside - attach the shutoff.
    5) Attach the disconnect onto the shutoff.
    6) Now knot the open end of the garbage bag, just like your taking the trash out.
    7) Fill bag and open hose adapter. A few holes in bag and your done.

Bag: http://www.flickr.com/photos/nevinleiby/10353826913/
    Fittings: http://www.flickr.com/photos/nevinleiby/10353638524/
    Based upon: http://www.instructables.com/id/DIY-Tree-Gator-Water-Bag/

Here is a link that might be useful: Homemade tree gators