Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Apple Tree identification

Posted by whitedog2000 (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 28, 08 at 10:25

Hi,

I moved into a house out in the country in eastern Iowa that was built in 1867. In the front yard, there is a hugh apple tree that is putting out hundreds of apples. The tree is about 30-40 feet tall, and the apples are green and some have small portions of a reddish color. I was hoping someone could help me learn how to identify what type of tree it is. The tree looks pretty old. I can show some pictures on my personal web site if we are not able to attach pictures here. Please let me know what you would need to see in the pictures.

Thanks in advance.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Apple Tree identification

Here is a link to some pictures....

http://www.undeleteafriend.com

Thanks for taking a look....

Here is a link that might be useful: Apple Pictures

o

• Posted by brandon7 6b (like 7b now) TN (My Page) on
    Mon, Jul 28, 08 at 15:22

Is that a link to some virus or something? Sure doesn't look like it's going to have anything to do with apples!

o

no, the site is fine. It's a domain I bought years ago and is hosted at 1and1.com.

Thanks....

o

Mon, Jul 28, 08 at 16:28

OK, sorry. That domain name just seemed a little fishy and I don't see that many links to personal domains posted here for pictures. I jumped the gun.

o

Mon, Jul 28, 08 at 20:01

Whitedog, I'm not sure if it's gonna be very easy to ID an apple tree without more than just those pictures, but your best bet would probably be to post the pictures in the Fruit & Orchards Forum. There are a number of members over there that I never see in this forum that live and breath apples and fruit trees.

Here is a link that might be useful: Fruit & Orchard Forum

o

• Posted by bboy z8 WA USA (My Page) on
    Mon, Jul 28, 08 at 20:07

I got the pictures, showing a big green squat apple - maybe something like 'Granny Smith'. Your best option would be a fruit show being held in your area, although if the fruits are coming on now (too early for 'Granny Smith') they will probably be over before any shows that might be held withing reasonable driving distance were to occur this year. Perhaps you could get some fruits to last long enough in cold storage to be used. Try Iowa Cooperative Extension for information about fruit shows.

If this comes to pass take at least 6 fruits in to be examined and identified.

o

If there are any orchards in the area, you can also try taking several apples to the orchardist, to see if they have any idea. If there are any long-time neighbors around, they might also know, through talking to the previous owners, and maybe getting apples from the tree. If you are near a college or university with a pomology (may not be the right word - someone who is expert in fruit trees) department, or orchard dep't, you could go ask there, apples in hand. Your local county extension agent may know or be able to tell you where to go for further info.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here