Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Magnolia growth

Posted by mister_potato_head VT 5a (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 22, 14 at 10:38

About twelve years ago I planted a magnolia in the morning shade of a large red maple. The magnolia has grown from a whip to a nice sized tree of twelve feet tall. However, the shaded side has not filled in well, and the tree looks imbalanced.

The maple has been removed by the power company, and now the mag gets all day sun. Can I expect it to fill in the measly growth on that side? I'll likely prune it late next winter to balance it somewhat. Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Magnolia growth

now being in full sun .... i think you will be pleasantly surprised at how fast it reacts.. in tree years.. mind you ...

plus... it might actually get some of the water .. the tree has been out competeing it for ...

i might give it a season or two.. to sort itself out.. and then start shaping it ...

unless you care to post a pic.. and get some pertinent advice ...

ken

ps: i dont know when the maple was removed.. but if very recent.. dont be surprised if shade leaves burn to a crisp and fall off in full sun ...

o

Yes, it will fill in over the next 2-5 years.

o

Thank you both for your quick reply. As you can see in the photo, the right side of the magnolia is more thinly branched than the left side.

Also, on the ground behind it, are the logs from the maple. It was cut yesterday, and was aprox. sixty feet tall. There was an ash tree to the left of the maple, which was also removed yesterday, but not pictured. I've been here forty two years, and both maple and ash were mature trees back then. It was like loosing two very old friends. Our ash trees here in Vermont, are in jeopardy of being lost to a borer and a disease. Which is why we asked to have them removed. The maple has many babies growing on my property, so I have that to look forward to, along with hundreds of sugar maples.

I'm glad to hear your opinion that it will eventually fill in.

o

Another view from the opposite side.

o

And a shot of the flowers, from this past May. I've long forgotten the named variety of this magnolia, but it sure is hardy, and pretty.

o

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Wed, Jul 23, 14 at 13:28

Likely to be 'Leonard Messel'. Don't cut off one half because the other is missing, that would be like cutting off a finger because you lost a thumb.

o

Thanks bboy for the name. It could very well be, as I do recall it was named after a man. I'll look into it.

o

Looks like a Tulip Tree, rather than a true Magnolia. Magnolia keep leaves all year.

o

Looks like a Tulip Tree, rather than a true Magnolia. Magnolia keep leaves all year.

o

There are several deciduous Mags, as well as evergreen.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here