Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
inca52

I THINK they're Green Emerald Arborvitae

Inca52
9 years ago

Hi everyone! This is my first post here so hopefully I am posting this in the correct spot. To start off, I am in the process of closing on a new home (my first! yay!) and there are some privacy trees planted along the back fence line. There is a park on the other side of the fence. Anyways, many of them are dead, or dying. The yard itself is quite small so I am kind of wanting to just remove them to add a bit of space in the yard for my kids and maybe put in a privacy fence next summer.The trees must be old because they are quite tall. Does this seem like a good idea? Will it be very hard or costly to have them removed? They're taller than the house, which is a ranch style home. So maybe 15-20+ ft? (I will include another picture in the comments if I am able!)

Comments (13)

• Inca52
    Original Author
    9 years ago

This pictures just shows how tall they are next to the house.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    9 years ago

They ARE arborvitae but probably not Emerald Greens ('Smaragd'), which tend to top out around 15' and are thinner and more precise in shape. Regardless, if it were my choice, I'd remove them as they are NOT in good condition and add nothing aesthetically to the property. A privacy fence would be far more satisfactory and open things up for your kids.

These are not big trees and the cost of removal should not be high. In fact, it is something that could be done by most homeowners themselves with a modicum of care.

• Embothrium
    9 years ago

As far as can be made out here of the common, familiar ones these would in fact be 'Smaragd'. Dying out of part of the hedge is typical for this unusually root rot prone selection.

How, specifically does this or any other tree grow 15 ft. tall and then "top out"? Individual bamboo culms do have predetermined heights that are reached the first season and then never exceeded. But how does a non-grassy tree or shrub, that makes new tip growth every year manage to accomplish this?

I have seen occasional older arborvitaes around that looked like 'Smaragd' that were double or more than 15 ft. tall. In this area the cultivar did not become prevalent at outlets until the late 1980s - there has not been enough time for numbers of full sized examples to be apparent in the local landscape.

During past years a partly emptied grower's field along a freeway east of Portland, Oregon could be seen to contain intermixed rows of 'Fastigiata' and 'Smaragd' that were mostly about the same heights. 'Fastigiata' is known over 35 ft. tall in Seattle and even taller elsewhere; 'Aureospicata' has been measured over 57 ft. tall in Seattle; some places have recorded 'Lutea' 65 ft. tall.

This post was edited by bboy on Wed, Jul 16, 14 at 17:26

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    9 years ago

The popularity of 'Smaragd' really only took hold about 30 years ago. Prior to that time, the cultivar 'Pyramidalis' was much more commonly encountered. IME, this is the variety that one most typically sees as very large, well established and somewhat scraggly looking arborvitae specimens, very much like those in the photo. Of course everyone has their own experiences and opinions of what is what, but unless there at the time of purchase or planting to know the specific cultivar, the best we can come to is speculation.

Regardless of cultivar (does it really matter??), I wouldn't change my opinion regarding removal.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

the brown one is dead ..

the off color ones in the middle are dying ..

by the time those are gone... whats left???

start over ...

it doesnt matter what they are ... they are arbs ...

ohhhh... wait.. congrats on new house ... and garden ..

they are conifers... as in producing cones.. but they are also trees... they NEVER stop growing ... it just a matter of decades and annual growth ... though some might slow down in old age ...

ones that claim to be shorter in 10 years.. just grow less.. each year ...

i am confused by the pix.. which show a large yard.. then the plants.. i suspect.. yours is the small yard behind ...

remove them ... and for a thin version.. consider degroots spire at the link ...

IF you get single leader plants .... they can be about 18 inches wide when 10 feet tall ... but they will never stop ... and they have no snow load issues ... of which.. you didnt tell us where you are.. for other options... but these old tree dont look like heavy wet snow ever collapsed them ...

good luck

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

• Embothrium
    9 years ago

'Pyramidalis' is a synonym of 'Fastigiata'. I do not have to speculate as to the identity of older trees appearing to be 'Fastigiata', 'Smaragd' or any of the other comparatively distinct Thuja occidentalis cultivars (including others I listed above) that I am able to recognize by their morphological characteristics.

• nurseryman33
    9 years ago

If you can use a chainsaw, cutting them down wouldn't be too difficult, as long as you don't hit that chain-link fence. Getting the stumps out would take some work, so I would just cut them flush to the ground and cover them with mulch after you plant something else there. They won't sprout.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

in my experience.. the cutting down part is not the problem...

its how to get rid of all that plant.. after its laying on the ground ...

on my 5 acres.. i could burn it ... but you surely arent going to bag it.. or drag it to the street and hope for the best ..

ken

• mikebotann
    9 years ago

I would try watering the ones that look 'sick' before removing them.
    That would leave a big hole if cut down.
    Mike

• bengz6westmd
    9 years ago

Posted by ken_adrian MI z5 (My Page) on
    Thu, Jul 17, 14 at 8:41

its how to get rid of all that plant.. after its laying on the ground ...

on my 5 acres.. i could burn it ... but you surely arent going to bag it.. or drag it to the street and hope for the best

I just started putting all my yard waste (cut up somewhat when large) spread out under the shade canopy of 2 sugar maples where grass struggled anyway. No more mowing, the stuff breaks down surprisingly fast, the ground doesn't dry out as fast, and the maples benefit.

• nyboy
    9 years ago

Have seller of house remove before sale. I had a very large tree growing next to house, I had seller cut down and remove before closing date, ask your realtor about it.

• Embothrium
    9 years ago

If these are 'Smaragd' with root rot watering will certainly not help. As always, specific conditions need to be accurately identified before it becomes possible to make a useful response.

• Inca52
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you all so much for your help! The sellers are not being very flexible, which is unfortunate, as I would love them to come down before I move. Luckily I have many friends and family members that can assist in the removal before having to call in a professional. For those that inquired, I am located in Illinois. Most of the midwest had a very rotten winter with temperatures reaching -40 windchill. The relator thinks maybe that is what caused them to start looking the way they do, but I will go out on a limb and guess they were going downhill prior. In the pictures, the fenced in part of the yard is mine, whereas the area next to it is part of the park and is owned by the city. These trees I believe are near 30+ years old, as the house was built in 62.