Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jrb007_gw

Eastern Redbud Problems

jrb007
10 years ago

Hi Folks,
I've been in the process of landscaping the back of my house and just planted a wide selection of shrubs and trees. Everything seems to be going well with the exception of a 8' Eastern Redbud. It was purchased from a local nursery.

Does this look like some type of disease, insect attack or something else? None of the other trees/shrubs I planted look anything like this. It was planted around 3 weeks ago and looked great at that time.

Any information/advice would be greatly appreciated.

-Jim

Comments (4)

• j0nd03
    10 years ago

Looks like a moisture deficiency and it looks like it is in sunup to sunset sun from the pic. Is reflected sunlight also a possibility?

Have you checked the rootball for adequate moisture recently?

Did you mulch around the tree after it was planted?

• jrb007
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the quick response!

It's in full sun 3/4 of the day and is in a mulched bed. Shouldn't be getting any reflected sunlight.

We've been watering every other day. We use the soaker setting on the sprayer and leave it on for around 5-7 minutes. After reading about the pitfalls of over watering I wanted to be careful not to do that as well.

I apologize as I'm new to this - I've never planted a tree that had any issues right off the bat. How would I go about checking the rootball for adequate moisture? Just dig down around it and feel for dampness?

Thanks again for your help!

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

take a hand trowel

and dig a hole next to what you planted .... and into the root mass if you can..... and FIND OUT if the root mass is wet or dry ...

at best you are simply guessing about whether your watering protocol is even close to PROPER ...

see link ... in regard to PROPER WATERING ....

you were way off PROPER TIMING... but 'if' you perfect PROPER WATERING ... you might get by ...

at this point.. i would only hope for it living ..... whether or not it has pretty leaves.. is not something to worry about ...

do NOT plant anything else until fall ... if you need help 'holding them over'... in pots.. we can help .....

good luck

ken

ps: i am watering a stressed transplant right now.. in my sand.. and the water wand is on trickle.. and i will leave it there for about 4 hours .... how does that compare to your 8 minutes???? .. now this is a function of my sand soil ... with its very high drainage ... how it might work in your soil.. no one can tell ....

Here is a link that might be useful: link

• jrb007
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the link Ken.

I'll have a look this evening and see what the rootball feels like. 4 hours eh? I think the biggest lesson I'm taking from this is that it's best to give a long slow soak rather than a quick full blast from the hose.

I was just surprised to get the feedback that the condition of the leaves, including holes, could be from a lack of water. Especially considering I've been watering this tree at the same level as the others which are showing no signs of stress.

Thanks again everyone for the help. Hopefully you've helped me save a tree. And $100. :)