Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
hybridizing sugar maple

Posted by hairmetal4ever Z7 MD (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 12, 13 at 11:04

I'll post this over at the hybridizing forum too.

I've given some thought to a fun project...hybridizing Acer saccharum wtih it's variants (leucoderme, grandidentatum, barbatum, etc).

My main question for the tree forum:

Red Maple (acer rubrum) is said to be mostly dioecious but some forms monoecious (i.e., most red maples are either male or female but not both) in literature, but I think every Acer rubrum I see is one sex or the other.

Sugar maples are said to be the same way (some dioecious, some monoecious) but they seem, to me, to mostly having both flower types on the same tree...am I right or wrong here?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: hybridizing sugar maple

HM, I believe SM is generally dioecious but that there are individual trees which are fully monoecious. Further confusing the issue, there seem to be individual trees occupying every point along this spectrum. And finally, some sugar maples have individual branches with both male and female flower characteristics, within an otherwise predominantly dioecious framework.

Whew! You've got your work cut out for you!

+oM

o

• Posted by beng z6 western MD (My Page) on
    Sat, Jul 13, 13 at 12:27

Yeah, insuring a hybrid w/alot of other sugar maples around ain't gonna be easy...

My sugar maples seem dioecious, with sections of branches bearing mostly/all male or female flowers. Females tend to be lower on the trees, males higher. Red & silver maples often seem to be mostly monoecious, tho.

o

I know rose breeders cut the stamens off flowers and put bags over them to prevent errant pollination. MIght be hard on a TREE but could be done...just cut the staminate flowers as they start to open but before the pollen is released. Realistically just a few branches would be needed to get a decent number of seeds...presuming it "took".

I guess there is a name for Acer saccharum x Acer leucoderme (Acer x senecaense) but I've never seen one.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here