michael1846

pale crepe myrtle

michael1846
9 years ago

Is my new tree pale or am i just crazy?

Comments (6)

• hortster
    9 years ago

It does look a bit pale. Is that crushed limestone on the ground? If so, might be a bit chlorotic from high pH.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

how newly planted ...

soil is not going to have that big an impact all that fast ... i am thinking years.. not days.. or months ...

what i dont get is why the lawn looks no better in your pic .. which leads me to think we cant comment too deeply on this pic alone ... i blame the camera ... lol

how about a little history of this plant... like where are you.. how planted.. soil amendments .. watering protocol ... heat waves drought ... bigboxstore??? .. potted.. ball and burlap ... etc ...

i can not.. and will not.. speak to whether you are crazy ... lol ..

ken

• michael1846
    Original Author
    9 years ago

It was more of a quick buy from a big box store because i had a giftcard :) i just got it last night .... it was not all that expensive so if it dies it was free.... it has GREAT roots. I think it might have just been cared for badly where i got it.���
    (The lawn looks bad because im not a "lawn" person, if it all died i would not be sad....more room for other plants)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

lol.. i wasnt criticizing the lawn.. i was pointing out its hard to determine the color of the plant... when the pic shows the color of the lawn to be off ... and then i moved my screen.. and .. well.. what can i say ... lol ...

if its been tortured at bigboxstore since early spring.. i think you have your answer ...

i dont favor fert'g new transplants...

lets see if there is some new growth and what color that is ...

was it root bound.. did you loosen the roots and get them into actual soil????

i might think about some very light fert in early fall ...

review the link for mulching and watering .. that is your only prime concern right now ...

i dont grow CMs .. not in MI ... but if some others suggest you can slather on the fert.. go with what they say ... but i still wouldnt.. lol ...

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    9 years ago

Your crApe myrtle may not be pristine, but it looks good enough to have an excellent chance of making it as long as it was planted correctly and is well cared for for the next few months until it becomes somewhat established.

• michael1846
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hey thanks! I will wait 4 weeks to let any ferts go away. If it does better i will update:) thanks for the link btw :)