Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Identify tree/berries

Posted by CJEbert 5 (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 29, 14 at 12:02

Hello all,

Was hoping you could help me identify another tree that is growing near my office building, and also the berries growing on it. There are actually quite a few of these growing around the industrial park where I work. I'm living in (what this site dictates as) Zone 5.

You can check out the attached picture for some visual details of the trunk, leaves, and berry clusters. The tree seen in the picture is about 15 feet tall, but some of the others I've seen are at least 20 feet.

I did some research of my own and I believe it MAY be Amelanchier (with the berries being Juneberries), but I'm not 100% sure and was hoping to maybe get some input from some folks who are more knowledgeable than I.

I greatly appreciate any help you can offer. Will also do my best to answer any follow-up questions any of you might have to help ID.

Thanks again!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Identify tree/berries

Crabapple?

o

Almost certainly some type of crabapple.

o

• Posted by raee zone 5 OH (My Page) on
    Tue, Jul 29, 14 at 12:27

I would guess crabapple too. Are the fruits firm? My Juneberry has softer fruit than my crab, plus the fruit is long gone. The Juneberry blossoms on my tree also don't have the flush of pink that my crab does.

o

Apart from the leaves and fruit the bark says apple.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here