Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help! Tree identification

Posted by howardwang186 MD (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 28, 14 at 12:14

Hi all,
I have never taken care of garden and tree before. Please let me know which tree is in the picture? What is the safe distance to grow between the tree and house? I really appreciate your help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help! Tree identification

Could you provide a close-up please of the leaves?

o

Probably some kind of maple but we need a close up pic of the leaves to tell what kind

o

Acer rubrum (Red Maple) most likely.

o

Thanks for your help. I attach a close up photo of leaves. Please help me ID my trees. I am worried they are too close to my house although they are not big now.

o

Concur with hairmetal. It sure looks like red maple. Good news is they don't get gigantically out of hand like silver maple. I probably would have planted it farther out, but OTOH I wouldn't worry too much about it.
How far is it from the foundation (house, not deck)?

o

One if them is 12 feet from the corner of the basement. The other is 18 feet. Should I get rid of them to prevent future root invasion problem? My wife suggest me to at least keep them after this fall since we just purchase this house. They are about 15 feet tall.

o

Those are too close to the house and will cause foundation damage during their lifetime; included will be seed and leaf debris in your gutters that will need annual cleaning.

A 40' Acer rubrum can easily have roots extending 80 feet from the tree. The only circumstance I'd feel comfortable planting a Red maple/Acer rubrum is 40 feet away from a home or further.

Substitutes that near to your home should be a large shrub/small tree or a tree having less aggressive roots/leaf&seed clutter.

Hope this helps.

Dax

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here