Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
tree borers?

Posted by loneranger_grow (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 5, 14 at 12:24

I usually spray a borer spray on my fruit and dwarf oaks in early spring. This year I ran out. Did not spray. Now I am seeing damage from some insect? There are little cuts along the underside of the new growth resulting in the branches dying or breaking off. I have never seen this before? What. Are they called.? Would borer spray have helped? I am in south Iowa. Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: tree borers?

what borer.. might depend on what tree ...

a pic perhaps???

never heard of a dwarf oak... might also help to know where you are ...

i am surprised that one bug.. would go after two such diverse trees ....

ken

o

I live in southern IA. The oaks are Chinkopin oaks. Probably spelled that wrong but they are dwarfs and only get 15 or 16 ft tall. Whatever bug this is it sure tore up my trees!!

o

Please post images of the critters and damage.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here