Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tree Lilac Ivory Silk

Posted by northern_hab 6a - Etobicoke (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 13, 14 at 12:34

Hi Folks,
I typically hang out in the Hot Pepper Forum.

I'm looking for pruning info for my Lilac Tree (not Bush).
It was planted in my yard approximately 6 yrs ago and has grown considerably. It stands about 22-25 ft. Trunk has about 8"-10" girth at 3' high.

What is the best time of year to prune and how much should I prune off?

ThanX in advance..
Frank

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tree Lilac Ivory Silk

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Sun, Jul 13, 14 at 13:56

What are you trying to accomplish, making it smaller because you think it is too big?

o

Want to make it look a bit more uniform and maybe have a few more blooms.
It seems to be growing more on one side than the other.
each year maybe 10 or so blooms on it. While there are others in my general area that seem to be covered in blooms each year.

o

Flowers are born on last year's wood, so if one must be pruned, do it immediately after it has ceased blooming. I have Summer Snow and mine has only been planted two years now, and has yet to bloom, so I'm not a good resource to give you any information you couldn't get by a web search. I do know that they do like sun in your zone and that they prefer sweet soil and should likely have no supplemental nitrogen unless you are sure your soil is deficient.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here