Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fpmom_gw

Dogwood Kousa location to plant?

fpmom
9 years ago

I live in Western Massachusetts and have a dogwood Kousa I am going to plant this week (I know it's the worst time to plant but we completely re-landscaped the yard and my contractor started the project late so what can you do?) and I have been told mixed reports re position to plant�ideally I want to plant at the front of the house as a specimen tree which is full sun from about 10am onwards to about 5pm
I have read that they prefer morning sun and some afternoon shade and other reports that they love full sun so long as they are well irrigated (which it would be)�when we had it delivered it was suffering from leaf curl from being scorched in the very hot sun at the nursery and I don't think they had been watering it properly though it had a water bag around it�since I have had it despite still being in the pot it seems a little happier with less curl (I have been soaking every day in this hot weather)
Thought on best place to plant?

Comments (7)

• mad_gallica (z5 Eastern NY)
    9 years ago

They handle full sun here without irrigation, so I would expect the same where you are.

If you are into watering stuff, be careful you don't drown it. One of the side effects of the gardening center of gravity for the country moving west and south is that a lot of people seem to have gotten the idea they can't grow anything without watering it. When you live in an area that averages 40, 50, or even 60 inches of rain a year, you can kill a lot of plants with that mindset.

• fpmom
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks mad_gallica - I think I am going to plant it in full sun since it will look great at front of house in that position
    One question - if they are fine in full sun and with less water why the leaf curl? Is it just stress from being in burlap and not planted yet?

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

pot it and set it in shade.. until the proper planting time ...

if ball and burlap ... pot it and leave it in shade ...

get your warranty in writing... especially in regard to a large transplant ...

how big is this thing ..???

there are many things you can do.. other than say.. oh well ...

its wilting.. curling.. because it has been out of the ground ... improperly watered .. and not yet planted ...

ken

• nomore2023
    9 years ago

Your dogwood will need more water than usual until it is rooted..which is 1-2 years. Give it a little trickle of water for 10 minutes in 3 spots around the drip line every day!

• fpmom
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks everyone for your input - we ended up planting in full sun given that many around the neighborhood have done the same and their trees are thriving⦠the Kousa is still struggling a bit but I think it's perhaps getting too much water since the new irrigation system was planned to overspray the beds and we have put down new sod so in this heat the sprinklers are on 3 times a dayâ¦I expect that once we cut down the watering schedule on the sod the Kousa might respond better though it's not dead yet!

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    9 years ago

Leaf curl and downward drooping is a classic sign the tree is in an exposure that is too intense (excess sun and heat) for its liking. While they can get used to it, they will always react in this manner. Even way up here in the PNW where summers are never seriously hot like elsewhere in the country, this is a classic dogwood reaction to full sun and "hot" weather. These are by nature understory trees, after all.

• fpmom
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks everyone for your input - we ended up planting in full sun given that many around the neighborhood have done the same and their trees are thriving⦠the Kousa is still struggling a bit but I think it's perhaps getting too much water since the new irrigation system was planned to overspray the beds and we have put down new sod so in this heat the sprinklers are on 3 times a dayâ¦I expect that once we cut down the watering schedule on the sod the Kousa might respond better though it's not dead yet!