Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Magnolia 'Sunsation'

Posted by daisy_me Z6b IL (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 12, 13 at 12:48

What can you tell me about Magnolia 'Sunsation'?

I planted one many years ago, and while it has gone from a 3' stick to a 10' or so "shrub", it certainly has not begun to look like a tree. I'll admit, I knew nothing about it when I purchased/planted it, other than I liked the blooms (shame on me!). It's been in the ground since 2005, in full sun.

In your experience, does it usually remain in more of a shrub form? Or does it eventually begin to take more of a tree form?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Magnolia 'Sunsation'

hard to give you much advice w/o a pic ...

but i never met a shrub.. which turned itself into a tree .... all by its lonesome ....

its a matter of its owner.. forcing it.. thru pruning.. into the shape they want ...

get a good tree pruning saw.. and start whacking on it ... and make it what you want.. whose in charge in your garden anyway.. the plants????

advise if you wish instruction on how to make a proper cut.. etc ....

ken

o

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Fri, Jul 12, 13 at 17:29

Many kinds of trees, whether planted as trees or as shrubs, build up into tree shapes later in life. This is particularly common among supposedly dwarf conifer cultivars, such as clones sold as Pinus strobus 'Nana' - and a thousand others.

The very common Magnolia grandiflora 'Little Gem' often grows for some years in a comparatively broad and bushy fashion, only to eventually transform into a taller and narrower tree shape - the original seedling was almost columnar.

Keep or make yours happy with ferilizing, mulching and watering as needed - instead of whacking on it - and see what it does. It will probably become more arborescent over time.

o

I think Bboy described it best, mine is currently "broad and bushy" and "almost columnar". Not at all like the Magnolias I remember from my childhood in the South.

And Ken, yes, sometimes the plants rule. Only because I find I don't have enough time or knowledge sometimes to keep them under my rule! ;-) That's why I'm thankful for GW and the helpful folks who hang out here.

I'll admit, I have not fertilized this tree since planting it, but I'm going to give it a try and see what happens. At this point, it can't hurt, and maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised.

Thanks!

o

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Mon, Jul 15, 13 at 13:12

If it looks lush and healthy it may not need fertilizer. One way to get a look into the situation is a soil test. Fertilizing can hurt, in that if there is plenty of a particular mineral already present adding more may come to produce a toxicity - too much phosphorus, for instance, which is hard to get rid of, and often present in fairly (or quite) high amounts in some frequently sold formulations.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here