Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mgermain1981

Aesculus x carnea "Fort McNair"

mgermain1981
10 years ago

Hello I have come for a little clarification on the Aesculus x carnea "Fort McNair" or Pink Horse Chestnut Tree. I have purchased this tree for my yard, and have heard conflicting reports on it being messy or not.

On some web pages they say it does not produce seed, and other web pages it says they do produce seed. Hopefully there is a professional out there that can shed some light for me.

I have planted the tree in a spot that would take it about 10-15 years for the canopy to actually be over our driveway. At that time the tree, if messy, would become a huge nuisance. I would rather move it now than later!

Thank you for your time in advance on my query.

Comments (15)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

i have oneills red...

in 13 years.. its grown from 5 to 15 feet tall ... maybe 10 wide ...

and has produced no more than 10 or 15 CHESTNUTS per year ... IF!!!! the flowers dont get hit with a late frost/ freeze .... and that seems to happen every other year or so ....

mine is not what i would call a vigorous grower ... and i suspect your will be no different ... and your season is shorter than mine ...

the nuts are extremely beautiful to look at ... but i have never had enough to try eating them ....

i think you are over thinking it ....

ken

• mgermain1981
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for your response Ken. I do agree with on over thinking this. But its good to hear that it won't be raining nuts and sticky stuff all over the place! I will definitely leave the tree where it is, and am happy I bought it.

• mgermain1981
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Good to know. Is that your tree in the picture..... it looks amazing!! Does your tree litter anything that is sticky?

So after the tree blooms the whole stick with blossom falls off? That's interesting, and yes would be easy to pick up or mow.

Thanks for your response.

• gazania_gw
    10 years ago

That is my tree.

Nothing sticky except those tiny little nuts have a tacky feel if you roll them between your fingers.

I too have read it both ways on the seed production thing.

• Marie Tulin
    10 years ago

look at that magnificant root flare!

• lucky_p
    10 years ago

ken,
    As it's a 'horsechestnut', the seeds are not considered to be edible, as are true chestnuts.
    Some scientific texts declare them to be poisonous - but I'm aware of people eating them with no untoward results... may be one of those 'the dose makes the poison' deals.

• treebird101
    10 years ago

I notice the root flare too idabean. I wonder what type of rootstock it's grafted onto. Obviously the rootstock is more vigorous growing than the tree. The tree itself is absolutely gorgeous!

• Nicole
    8 years ago

The "Fort McNair" chestnut tree looks gorgeous! I get really inspired with idea to grow it by myself from chestnut seed. Unfortunately I do not have any pink chestnuts in my area and hopping to find someone who would sell me few Aesculus x carnea "Fort McNair" I would pay the shipping and seeds. If someone is interested please let me know.

• Toronado3800 Zone 6 St Louis
    8 years ago

Nicole, look up a few online nurseries on a review site like g a r d e n w a t c h d o g. I bet forest farm or one of them would happily sell and ship ya a small one in the fall.

• Nicole
    8 years ago

Just thought that nurseries might not want to have a deal with something small like seeds ))

I'll ask ...Thanks!

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

I had my camera with me in town today. These two are in a local park. I've no idea what cultivar, if any, they are, nor how old they are.

And here's plain A hippocastanum. Trunk:

And the whole thing:

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    8 years ago

no nicole... he meant spend the money to have a small tree shipped in the fall planting season ...

that might cut 5 to 7 years off the time it would take your nut to mature enough to bloom ...

besides ... who says a pink nut will give a pink flowering plant ... most of these cool plants are grafted.. because they do NOT come true from seed ...

if you want mc nair.. you probably have to buy mc nair ...

ken

• Roger Taylor
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Does any one know why my fort mcnair is not blooming this year ? It bloomed the first year , now nothing . Please help !

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    6 years ago

Roger Taylor, Usually trees take a while to settle in and bloom again after the first year. They are growing roots in their new setting. The first year is influenced by their nursery care which tends to be toward encouraging blooms for easier sale.