Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
giantsycamore

Reccomendation for Tree to Plant?

GiantSycamore
10 years ago

So, I'm looking for a tree to plant in a special area in my backyard. I have a pictured of it attached. Basically, it's a low area at the edge of a woods and a stream. The low area is probably 15x20 feet that is essentially mud. It is barren of any weeds and there are only a couple sassafras saplings growing in it at this time (that I will probably remove). There isn't much direct sunlight here. It's surrounded by a number of mature trees, though a large old cherry recently fell and has opened up some more light. I would call this area a microwetland. It floods with a few inches of water during heavy rains and it is always damp. For about 20 years it is where I have thrown all of my compost so it should be extremely fertile. I want to plant a deciduous tree with the ability to grow very large. I know that I want to plant a Dawn Redwood somewhere on my property, and I think this would be a good place because I have read that they can even thrive in standing water (although this area would only have standing water an inch or two very sparsely). ALSO I want to note that this is an EXTREMELY iron rich area. The stream (which is about ten feet away) is ground fed from an old old mine shaft and is so rich in iron that the mud in the stream bed is bright orange. So, perhaps a tree that is particularly prone to iron chlorosis would be good here? Any recommendations are welcome! thanks!

Comments (14)

• arktrees
    10 years ago

I have to wonder if there is iron toxicity with it being orange like that. Could be why there is little to nothing growing there. Probable would be wise to get a soil test done to determine true nutrient levels, pH, and maybe check for heavy metals. When talking about any kind of mine discharge, I immediate think of the pH, and heavy metals.

JMHO,
    Arktrees

• edlincoln
    10 years ago

When I hear of a shade area, I first think of Paw Paw. They like shade when they are young, and produce fruit. Not that big, though. Speckled Alder likes wet soil and fixes nitrogen. Honeylocust fixes nitrogen to.

• GiantSycamore
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I should've mentioned that I live in southern Indiana, right about in the middle of zone 6.

Also, I'm not too worried about the soil being toxic. There are trees growing all along the stream including a huge sycamore and an even bigger oak that are both less than 5 feet from the water. the reason this area is so clear presently is because it was covered with tons of limbs that I had deposited there for years and recently hauled off.

• Iris GW
    10 years ago

Seems like sycamore would be a good fit if it is native to the area. They love wet areas.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

there is PROBABLY not enough light for any transplant to grow with any vigor.. at any speed ...

and for me.. thats is evidenced by the scraggly undergrowth trees...

i SUSPECT .. you simply are not going to see your transplant get huge.. in your life time... unless you fell more of the trees already there ...

most.. if not all LARGE trees are full blinding sun ... rather than light dappled shade ....

ken

• bengz6westmd
    10 years ago

Ken's right -- a whole lotta shade there. Too much for any but the most shade-tolerant trees/shrubs.

• SirSibs
    10 years ago

Have you considered a london plane tree (Platanus ÃÂ hispanica)? It can tolerate filtered shade, wet soil, and grow pretty large, and is susceptible to Iron Chlorosis.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

(Platanus ÃÂ hispanica)? It can tolerate filtered shade,

==>> no..no..no...

you can not compare a fully established long growing trees sun requirements.. with a fresh transplant...

a young babe.. will take decades to get established and thrive.. if ever ....

what i mean is.... go for it ... just dont set the bar of expectations too high ...

if that were my spot.. i would be looking at hosta.. rhodies.. azalea.. etc.. not TREES ...

ken

• bengz6westmd
    10 years ago

Ken -- hemlock, beech, sugar maple, maybe common basswood (and some others) could grow there. Slowly but surely.

• jcalhoun
    10 years ago

Iron is acidic. I'd imagine the soil has a low pH.

• GiantSycamore
    Original Author
    10 years ago

This area is much less shady than it appears in this picture. The side I took the picture from (the east) is completely free of trees, so for about half of the day the sun shines right into it. I took this in the evening when the sun was in the west and there's only spotty sunlight. there's open canopy from the top as well.

I do like the idea of a beech tree!

Also, when I said I want a tree with the potential to grow large that's exactly what I meant. I understand that trees may be slow to grow here but I'm just not looking to plant a shrubby tree here.

• jcalhoun
    10 years ago

Some of the wetlands trees will get rather large.

Look at bald cypress, tupelo, and sweet bay magnolia (my favorite).

I'd do a soil test first.

• GiantSycamore
    Original Author
    10 years ago

When you say a tupelo, do you mean a water tupelo or a blackgum? Could either of these survive in my zone 6 (almost zone 7) climate?

• jcalhoun
    10 years ago

Either should work.

In my area the black gum doesn't grow as tall but they are quick growers. They are also more prone to wind damage. The water tupelo is a bit larger and stronger.