Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is this Fire blight?

Posted by muminutah Utah, 4500 feet (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 31, 14 at 13:05

My apple tree leaves started turning brown, and falling off, about half the tree is affected now. I had it pruned in the spring, and sprayed for Coddling Moth in the spring. I have my lawn fertilized by a company, but no other plants or trees are affected with this. It gets enough water.

It looks like the leaves on the top of the tree turned brown first, and then it started traveling down the tree. The leaves underneath are still mostly green.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is this Fire blight?

probably not fire blight, maybe graft failure. Usually fire blight leaves hang on and eventually turn brown leaves do in the fall. Also, there is the shepard's crook and the brownish liquid that may be seen early on when a strike hits. Fire blight enters through the blooms or hail injury. It's a little late for fire blight to start unless one of the above conditions have occurred.

I just had an apple tree do the same as you describe and it was not fire blight. I removed the tree as I do not care to watch slow death and I can use the space for a new tree.

o
RE: Is this Fire blight?

Not fireblight. Could also be apple scab, although that usually presents much earlier in the growing season, at least in my neck of the woods.

Probably have to send leaves into diagnostic lab if you want it nailed down with precision.

+oM

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here