Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Oak tree dripping water?

Posted by Popke 10 Seminole, FL (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 29, 13 at 13:24

There is a large Oak tree in our neighbors yard that hangs over our house. The tree drips on our cars and it stains the paint if not removed immediately. The substance appears to be water with a little sap in it. The water company reader happened to be walking by and we asked him about it and he said that there may be a break in a pipe and the tree is absorbing too much water and is just dripping the excess and that is what we are seeing.

Does this sound right?
Thank you!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Oak tree dripping water?

no

ken

o

It's much more likely that your tree is infested with a sucking insect such as aphids, scales, or whiteflies. Many of these will excrete "honeydew", which is basically slightly-processed tree sap. This will rain down on whatever's below, and will often then develop a blackish fungal growth called "black sooty mold".

o

I'd be willing to bet money that it's the 24/7 excretion of aphids or scale as saccharum suggested. I've tried for years to get someone to sample this substance! :-)

o

• Posted by Popke 10 Seminole, FL (My Page) on
    Mon, Jul 29, 13 at 18:56

Thank you! Those explanations sounds way more understandable than the water in the ground. It is amazing to me that aphids or scale could secrete that much liquid. Is there anything I can do about it? Like I said, the tree is not mine and we get the branches cut back every couple of years but it is literally eating into the paint and windshield of my brand new car.
Thanks again!

o

Talk to your neighbor, first. You may suggest you'll split the bill to have a certified arborist come examine the tree. You proceed from there. In the meantime, park elsewhere!

Dax

o

Mon, Jul 29, 13 at 19:36

Dax, in a normal situation that would be a perfect solution but they are renters and the homeowner is completely uncooperative. :)
We had the audacity to ask her once about mowing their yard and cleaning up the leaves that were blowing all over our yard from her trees. We are parking elsewhere until the tree stops raining on us.
Thank you for the advice!!!
Kristen

o

Mon, Jul 29, 13 at 19:39

Deleted duplicate :)

This post was edited by Popke on Mon, Jul 29, 13 at 19:40

o

You have the right to prune away any part of the tree that hangs over your property. You'll probably need to have it done once a year.

o

I'm a little concerned with your description that the substance is eating your paint.

I used to live in a neighborhood with large silver maples lining the streets. We had a really bad year with some sort of sap-sucking insect. They did indeed rain some sort of sugar-water on our vehicles, to the point that the car doors stuck a bit, the entire car was sticky, and the pavement was also tacky underfoot.

However, this sort of residue does zero damage to the car. It's basically sugar water. It washes off easily, but no paint damage.

Just my experience. Everything was COVERED with the stuff, but it was totally harmless.

o

"You have the right to prune away any part of the tree that hangs over your property."

While that statement is true in many cases, it is not universally so. Unless Rhizo has first hand knowledge of your particular case (that we aren't aware of), you'd be smart to verify whether there were local laws or neighborhood restrictions before doing any pruning.

o

Sat, Aug 3, 13 at 22:01

Thank you all for the advice. The tree is still dripping away the clear water-like liquid. We are planning to have the branches cut back but it won't be far enough. They won't cut them back to the property line because it could harm the tree. I love the shade from the tree but the mess is a pain. I looked at the leaves on the ground and they look normal, but I am not a tree expert. :)

o

I had a red oak drip slime flux a few years ago. A clear liquid drip on the middle trunk of a 15ft tree, adolescent bark (still smooth), it went away with no further problems after a couple weeks. This may not be your same situation, but I am adding my experience anyway.

o

I just read this and live up the road in Palm Harbor and just last year started to experience a similar problem. Our Oaks started to drip but the "water" leaves a white residue on everything underneath. It does no damage but is hard to remove even with washing the car. Any ideas?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here