Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stimpy926

Cornus kousa sprouts

stimpy926
16 years ago

Hi,

Someone in the Pa forum posted this, and it's unanswered, thought I'd re-post here, as I'd like to know myself

TIA

"I have quite a few seedlings (volunteers) sprouting underneath my existing Kousa Dogwood trees. What are the odds of these seedlings growing into trees with the same characteristics as the parent trees? I'm not sure if the Kousa is a hybrid. If so, I know the seedlings may not have the same characteristics as the parent tree."

Comments (4)

• lucky_p
    16 years ago

Paula,
    Kousa is not a hybrid - though there are some hybrids of it and some of the native American dogwoods(C.florida, C.drummondii, etc.). But, if hers is a straight kousa, the seedlings will be typical of the species, and will be quite similar, in most regards, to the parent tree - floral show may be essentially the same - or it may be less or more showy - but she'll have to wait a number of years for these seedlings to grow through their juvenile period and attain sufficient maturity to begin flowering.
    I have some seedling kousas that I grew from seed I collected, and they're probably 7 years old(if not more), with no evidence that they're inclined to begin flowering any time soon.

• stimpy926
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks lucky p, I was pretty sure of this, but wanted to post here, where I know the advice is good. I have a *probable* straight species kousa myself, with seedlings all over the yard.

luckyp, as an update from years past, your advice to plant a Quercus macrocarpa was indeed sound. I can't believe it's been 5 years already since I planted it, and it's doing well. It has acorns this year! (Is this good, so early, I wasn't expecting them for some years from now?)

• lucky_p
    16 years ago

Paula,
    While you'll frequently see numbers thrown out like, 'Oaks require 35-40 years to begin fruiting', that's not been my experience.
    I've had quite a number of bur oak and hybrid oak seedlings begin producing acorns within 5-7 years after transplanting as a 1 or 2-yr seedling - well under 10 years of age, much less that 35-40 mark.

I can't say that I've noticed kousa seedlings popping up around town - but it may be that there are some, but they've not reached maturity to bloom, so one wouldn't necessarily recognize them in the background/understory. I certainly see plenty of the little stony seeds on the mulch surface under mature, bearing trees in the fall when I'm competing with the squirrels & birds for the edible fruits.

• johnfromperrycopa
    16 years ago

thanks Paula and Lucky...I might just pot a few of those baby Kousas and see if they take off...

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!