Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
one of my favorite trees

Posted by tenacre Zone5 (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 17, 14 at 14:10

This gorgeous tree lives at the end of the center trail through our "young" woods, about a thousand feet from our house. Beyond him in the background is our "old growth" woods: 1500 feet of mostly Black Cherry, Oak, Hickory, Walnut, and Linden. One Black cherry has a girth of roughly 15 feet.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: one of my favorite trees

what is the tree ... i cant ID it from this distance...

more pix of the old growth please ...

ken

o

>> what is the tree ... i cant ID it from this distance...

Here's a close-up of the foliage:

o

Here's a close-up of the mature bark (from an older tree closer to the house). Dead give away?

o

Nice!

o

Here's one I planted from seed, at the transition of our back yard (lawn) and the "young" woods. This Fall I plan to trim the lower branches.

o

Osage Orange

o

>> more pix of the old growth please ...

I'll see if I can dig up some pix from past years off my backup disks.

The "young growth" woods is 13 years old this summer. When I bought the property 13 years ago it was former farmland and was shoulder-high in weeds. I hired a guy to brush-hog it down to 3" so I could see the lay of the land, then I let it grow back, all the while keeping walking paths mowed. As trees sprouted, I decided which ones to keep and which ones to cut down, and trimmed branches with bypass loppers and a pruning saw to keep the trails open as the canopy formed. I waged a 7-year battle with poison ivy and finally declared victory about 6 years ago when I couldn't find a single specimen within sight of my trails. There are some trees there now over 40 ft tall.

After 12 years of painstaking maintenance, last year I didn't groom the trails. This year I have cleared them almost to the old growth, but not quite.

The "old growth" won't be accessible for hiking until Fall or Winter. I don't have well-established trails back there, and there is a lot of thorny underbrush and some remaining poison ivy (I cut down countless hairy vines the thickness of a landscape timber).

o

>>Posted by sam_md z7 MD Thu, Jul 17, 14 at 19:47

>>Osage Orange

Indeed! Brilliant glossy green leaves; insects, bacteria, and fungus leave it alone; and the wood is like iron. Even the deer and rabbits don't mess with it.

o

High winds take their toll with OO. This is a common sight here with larger trees. Apparently the top gets so heavy that the roots cannot support it when windy.
Now, someone tell me what feeds on the fruits produced by the female trees. I've never known anything to eat the fruit.
 photo 03-31-13017.jpg

o

Hmm. I've got a fence row of OOs. I'm told they used to be used before barbed wire became widely available. I've no idea how old they are, but they're all still standing. We get mighty high winds here. I have video of our London Planetree coming down. Heartbreaking. Four years later, I still miss it.

This post was edited by tenacre on Thu, Jul 17, 14 at 21:11

o

>>I'll see if I can dig up some pix from past years off my backup disks.

This is all I was able to come up with so far. Pic was taken in mid-May of 2010. The trail goes down into a shallow valley and into the old woods.

So what you see in the background is the beginning of the old woods.

o

It was my daughter's favorite climbing tree.

o

I read that the fruits were eaten by ground sloths hence hte reason for their size...but of course they are now extinct

o

Interesting article linked here about OO from a highly respected naturalist. He gives some suggestions about what USED to eat OO fruit.

Here is a link that might be useful: Mike Slater's article

o

Hello, would you show a pic of that ~15'c cherry, please?

The IL state champion is 13.08'c with an 86' height and 62' spread. Which state are you located?

Thank you!

Dax

o

• Posted by beng z6 western MD (My Page) on
    Fri, Jul 18, 14 at 9:17

I think squirrels sometimes pick thru the fruit of OOs to eat the seeds. But they'll try almost anything.

One of my thornless male OOs, 'White Shield' (~20' tall), got flattened to the ground by a fallen Siberian elm. I cut off many of the limbs while on the ground to lighten it, righted it & staked it. It has recovered remarkably, tho still supported.

'White Shield' has an unusual, elm-like upright form, not like the usual female form.

o

There are several OO around my neighborhood, you know it's fall when those monkeyballs are along the road. There is a big one not far from me. I'll try to get a pic soon. It's growing up against an old tractor shelter.

o

The largest Black Cherry on our property is at the extreme east end, deep in dense woods. The last time I was back there was about 4 years ago. I'll make a trek back there this winter.

Here is a different one. I cleared a path to it with the tractor. It measures about 11'c at the "waist".

o

sam,
I've seen squirrels and various other small rodents eat the seeds.
Cattle will eat the fruits after they've 'bletted' - but sometimes they try to eat them before they're sufficiently rotten, and they can lodge in their esophagus, preventing them from eructating(belching off the gases produced by fermentation of plant materials in their rumen) - resulting potentially fatal bloat.
Paleobotanists have theorized that large now-extinct herbivores - like mammoths/mastodons - may have been consumers of the fruit and distributors of seed, in starter packets of organic fertilizer.

o

You have some great trees.

Dax

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here