Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Blue spruce not looking good, pest damage?

Posted by gbig2 6 (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 27, 14 at 14:31

Whatever is happening to it is spreading fast. Just last week it was only a small part of the tree, now it's the whole thing. Is this insect damage? What should I do? Really appreciate the help, thanks.

Greg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Blue spruce not looking good, pest damage?

see link ...

its a conifer.. and there is a conifer.. ONLY... if you want to learn more about conifers...

you will get no better answer there ... on this topic ...

i would probably get rid of the tree.. rather than spending hundreds of dollars on having it sprayed ... but then.. i dont know much about the plant ...

ken

ps: the neighbor spent hundreds on the sprays.. it didnt save the tree ...

Here is a link that might be useful: link

o

Probably getting eaten by those little caterpillars that ate half mine in a week.

o

Have to agree with Ken 100%.

Dax

o

Jalcon, while I am not attributing the original poster's condition to them, by any chance are the 'little caterpillars' you mentioned bag worms?

I'd dealt with bag worms before, with arborvitae (where they can be a fast track to desolation), but last year, I discovered they can attack Colorado blue spruce, too.

Richard.

o

Rich,

Did some research. They were in fact readheaded pine sawfly larvae.

o

Thanks for the replies. I sent this picture to a local arborist and he says he thinks its bag worms. So I'm going to spray Sevin. I've had bag worms before but never like this where they cover the whole tree. If I had taken a closer up picture you'd be able to see the little bag worms hanging all over the tree.

Thanks again

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here