Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is This A Proper Installation?

Posted by nullqwerty 6 (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 14, 14 at 14:32

Hi folks,

I just had a Japanese Maple professionally installed. It's about an 8' tall tree if I had to guess. The crew that came did some things that were new to me.

First, when they removed the burlap, they then removed the dirt surrounding the root system. My honest thoughts are that this was done to make it so that the hole they dug wasn't as deep (and it wasn' very...maybe 10").

Second, they then put the tree in the hole and immeadiately started watering it before filling the dirt back in and that was the only time they watered it. This was further stripping the dirt from the root as far as I could tell.

The end result is that it was so shallow, once they were done, you could actually rock the tree side to side by hand with little effort, and the entire base of the tree (roots and all) you can see is lifted up. They then staked it to fix that.

Is this normal? I've never seen this before. Maybe it's completely fine, but it's new to me so I have to ask.

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is This A Proper Installation?

• Posted by whaas 5a SE WI (My Page) on
    Mon, Jul 14, 14 at 14:55

If the plant is set at the proper depth that is what we'd call a professional install. Kudos to whoever did it correctly.

JMs are a bit sensitive to root disturbance so hopefully they didn't remove too many fiboruous roots on the sides

o

A pic would help.

This procedure is called (among other things) 'mudding in'.

It accomplishes a few things that traditional planting doesn't always do properly:

1. Ensures complete soil-to-root contact (no air pockets and the "mud" fills in among the fibrous roots better

2. Ensures proper watering (obviously)

3. Elminates, or at least reduces, soil interface issues (where the soil type in your yard is different than the rootball it was grown in)

I worry that the mud would compact too much, but I guess it's no different than what happens after a hard rain, and as long as it's allowed to settle/soak in naturally (and not stomped on while muddy) it works out fine, from what I've read.

o

Awesome. Well, thanks everyone. That's a relief to hear. I've never heard of/seen that type of installation and with it being so easy to move back and forth, I had to check. Even with the stakes, I'm a little nervous of a wind storm (which we get plenty of), but at least now I know it was quality work.

Thanks again.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here